Hurt? How long before you see?

WelshOneEmma

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but here goes - if your chameleon falls and hurts itself, will you see straight away, or are they similar to us where adrenaline can cover it up for a bit?

We were cleaning out Hugo'd cage yesterday, and he refused to come out so we were having to do this with him at the top. He was very calm, no hissing etc and calm colours. next minute he just freaked and dropped from the top of the cage and hit the pot of one of the plants. He then came out and went onto his large ficus. Throughout this, he was in calm colours. When we put him back in, he spent ages wandering the cage before he settled down. He seems ok, but if he had hurt himself (like a broken leg) would he be limping straight away?

Hi knee looks like it may have a lump at the front - is it me being paranoid or can anyone else see this? Trying to attach a photo.

Last edited:
Ok, lets see if this attaches!

Attachments

• Hugo knee2.jpg
    Hugo knee2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 186
Hard to say, but I would keep an eye on him today to see if you notice him favoring the leg, limping or swelling. I think they're tougher then we think.

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but here goes - if your chameleon falls and hurts itself, will you see straight away, or are they similar to us where adrenaline can cover it up for a bit?

We were cleaning out Hugo'd cage yesterday, and he refused to come out so we were having to do this with him at the top. He was very calm, no hissing etc and calm colours. next minute he just freaked and dropped from the top of the cage and hit the pot of one of the plants. He then came out and went onto his large ficus. Throughout this, he was in calm colours. When we put him back in, he spent ages wandering the cage before he settled down. He seems ok, but if he had hurt himself (like a broken leg) would he be limping straight away?

Hi knee looks like it may have a lump at the front - is it me being paranoid or can anyone else see this? Trying to attach a photo.

He is probably fine. A short fall like that shouldn't be a problem unless he had severe MBD. Bruises show up on chams as a dark grey or black area on the skin. If not even a bruise, I'd watch but not worry too much.

Thanks guys. We spoke to the vet who has booked him in for Monday as she wants to check, just to make sure. We have been watching him today, and he has been wandering the cage a lot, but thats about it. We will see what Monday's visit brings!

Back
Top Bottom