Hurricane Irene

javsto

Ok so some of you might have heard that there was this little storm called Irene that packed quite a punch in NY over the weekend. I lost power to my section of Brentwood around 430 sunday morning and am still with out juice until LIPA gets to me sometime later this week, according to them. That being said I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long is it safe to keep a vieled cham litteraly in the dark? No juice means no basking lamp, no uva/uvb bulb and no monsoon mister. What little light I do get is from my window and that doesnt get direct sunlight till after 1pm.

Now I did see him chomping his jaws a few times yesterday, im assuming its from the free range crix and hornworms i give him or maybe he decided on dining on some umbrella plant leafs but what can or should I do until the power is restored?
I was considering taking him back to the store that I originally purchased him from to see if they can care for him for the time being but they also are without power.
any advise would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

If your temps are the relatively warm place him by that partial sunlite window so he can tell night and day. Dont feed much as he cant digest as well probably since not basking. He'll be fine w out basking and UVB till power comes on. Just make sure he is still misted and has temps that are tolerable for him. Take him away from window for sleep or cover his side so he goes to sleep. Goodluck with him,he'll be fine.

Take him outside if possible here and there for hour or so if possible or construct quick simple outdoor cage if you have the temps and means to leave him outside.

whats the temp like outside? If its not over 90 you should probably try and keep him outside until your power comes on. If its still hot out there make sure you provide extra mistings so he doesn't overheat. As long as the cage has shade in the hottest part of the day you should be fine.

this weeks temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 70's but it is pretty cool and windy so figure to drop that temp at least 5-10 degrees over all. it is expected to be very sunny with some lingering clouds from the hurricane but im not sure about bringing him outside for extended periods of time because we do have brown eagles and other predatory birds near me and i dont want a dive bomb attack on that flimzy reptibreeze cage of mine to protect him from the talons of some hungry bird of prey.

this weeks temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 70's but it is pretty cool and windy so figure to drop that temp at least 5-10 degrees over all. it is expected to be very sunny with some lingering clouds from the hurricane but im not sure about bringing him outside for extended periods of time because we do have brown eagles and other predatory birds near me and i dont want a dive bomb attack on that flimzy reptibreeze cage of mine to protect him from the talons of some hungry bird of prey.

you dont have to worry about birds if he's in reptibreeze, just make sure it dont blow away or over.

welcome storm brother.

if placing your pet outside is not an option, then just place him near a window. free range or in a cage, all will be well.
I got my lights back on by noon yesterday so my chams don't know anything happened. but both you and your pet should be fine near a window.

temps right now are around 64F so outside is not best for you anyway. so even late day light from a window will be ok for now.
just hand mist and don't feed for a day is what I would do. I'll bet you'll have power by tomorrow.

Harry

I just got an update that we probably wont get power restored till around this thursday at the earliest. That being said, I dont want my cham to starve so instead of feeding him crix should i use him soft bodied feeders like waxworms, hornworms, stuff like that which might be easier for him to digest until the lights come back on?

Man, you guys are seemingly lucky compared to what happened to the power where I live. I probably won't have power at my house till Sunday, thank god I can stay at my grandfather's house for the sake of the Chameleon

haha I made my dad buy a generator just in case we lost power, im 20 miles from NYC...i have too many animals that rely on their heating lights/rocks/mats, ive got 3 pumps that need to run or the water will get all mucky and gross, ive got two monsoons that need power...it would be catastrophic if i didnt have power for more than a day :p

In that case, Im lucky all i have is a Chameleon. I was out of country when Irene hit, and we couldnt get a flight back to jersey... So we literally just got back to jersey after a two day drive from florida.... All to save the chameleon's a$$

I'm in long island I moved my veiled by a window after bringing her inside for the storm. Lost power Sunday and got it back a few hours ago.. I'm in Nassau tho but hopefully you will get yours soon!

I won't have power till Thursday. Will be moving my guy by a window so taht he can get light. He's pissed as hell.

Back
Top Bottom