HR 669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act

Don't sit back on this one.....

Don't sit back and think this has no chance of passing. Sure it's been tried in the past and failed. Things are totally different now. And the economic impact on an industry or group of people has very little to do with whether this will pass or not. The leadership of the Democrat party currently in control of our government has an agenda to get total control over anything that effects the environment in any way, shape or form. The control over the environment takes priority over any economic impact on people.

For example, the Cap and Trade laws they want to pass to control carbon emissons would cause the average homeowner's energy bill to rise $100 per month. Imagine the cost increases to individual businesses and entire industries. Think of the jobs lost and the overall price increases for consumer goods. That does not matter to this group. They have clearly acknowledged the economic consequences and said that it was a sacrifice that must be made by all of us. They want it passed. The only thing keeping that bill from passing is a few Democrats who won't vote for it. Democrats control Congress. Most of the things the Democrats want are being passed right now. If enough people call and scream about something a few Democrats will stand up and not vote the party line. Democrats who do not vote the party line are being threatened by the leadership of their own party in a variety of ways (removal from committee positions, loss of future appointment to a committee or loss of party campaign money). They walk a tightrope between the wrath of party leadership and the wrath of the people that elected them.

Look at H.R. 669. Every single sponsor is a Democrat. Three of them are from California. The most powerful person in Washington DC besides Obama is Nancy Pelosi from California. She is the person who is driving Congress right now. She has what I call the "California Environmental Mindset". I love the state of California. Most of my vacations have been there for a reason. But there are some real extremists there. They want to ban the sale of black cars because they aborb more heat and take more energy to cool. And this week they want to ban the sale of TV's bigger than 40" because they suck up too much power. California is leading the way in the concept of regulating and taxing industries into economic oblivion.

I follow what Washington DC is doing pretty closely and have done so for years. I consider myself an "Independent" voter. My writing above seems to scewer just the Democrats but that is because they have had control of Congress for the last two years. They were the ones that blocked all attempts to change mortgage lending regulations prior to the whole economic meltdown. When the Republicans had control I had plenty of negative things to say about them too. In any case, I'm very familiar with all the players in Congress, what they want and how they go about trying to get it. In the grand scheme of what is going on in Congress these days, H.R. 669 is small stuff to these people. The Democrats are very likely to just vote the Democratic party line on it. They have control. Every Republican can vote against it and it will still pass. It is going to take some major screaming to make enough Democrats peel away from the party line vote to stop this. They are not going to spend much time considering the economic or emotional impact of H.R. 669 on us as a group or industry. They have bigger fish to fry. It will just move along the pipeline unless there is a major uproar over it. People need to call and call often to be heard. Phone calls are more effective than letters. You can put a letter on a pile. They have to answer the phone. Write the letters, but make the calls too. Get your friends to call. They go crazy when the phones are ringing off the hook. If you call or write have something rational to say. Like the fact that the captive breeding of reptiles is going to save many species from extinction. That the couple of states that may have some sort of environmental issue are perfectly capable of resolving the issue on their own without involving the Federal government and states that do not have an issue.

Just my two cents........thanks for letting me rant....Catherine

And for those who think this is just a USA thing.....it won't be. The groups behind this are global.......Thanks for listening to my rant.

Don't sit back and think this has no chance of passing. Sure it's been tried in the past and failed. Things are totally different now. And the economic impact on an industry or group of people has very little to do with whether this will pass or not. The leadership of the Democrat party currently in control of our government has an agenda to get total control over anything that effects the environment in any way, shape or form. The control over the environment takes priority over any economic impact on people.

And for those who think this is just a USA thing.....it won't be. The groups behind this are global...

Personally, I think it has very little to do with Democrat or Republican views. Its my opinion that its more relevant to news stories in recent history about burmese pythons among others that are now thriving in Florida and moving northward along the coast. Don't tell me I'm the only one here who has run across such articles in the course of looking up information on how to properly care for my pets? Don't make the mistake of being short-sighted about this, not only does this effect chameleons and bearded dragons, as well as some geckos and snakes, it also would effect parrots, conures, and various other birds that are kept as pets. Perhaps chinchillas and degus as well, as i'm pretty sure they aren't "native" to the USA. This goes far beyond the pets WE keep, so don't limit those you inform. Get EVERYONE involved that you can!

Last edited:
I received a list of pets that will NOT be banned. Whatever isn't on the list WILL be banned. Trying to find that list now.

Cats, Dogs, and Goldfish are on the list.. I believe.

This particular bill isn't currently being discussed in Canada, as far as I know. However, you can bet that it will effect the breeders there. I know I got my panthers shipped from Canada, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Should HR669 be adopted as written only the following nonnative animals
would be allowed:

>> any cat (Felis catus)
>> cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
>> chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
>> dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
>> donkey or ass (Equus asinus)
>> domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
>> duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
>> goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
>> goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
>> horse (Equus caballus)
>> llama (Lama glama)
>> mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
>> pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
>> domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
>> sheep (Ovis aries)

This means that if you own or plan on owning a hamster, gerbil, ferret, non native bird (ie- african grey, amazon parrot, macaw, parakeet, cockatiel...), snake, fish (only goldfish allowed), reptiles (iguana, beared dragon, leopard gecko.....) and countless other animals including exotics such as chinchillas, degus, sugar gliders....these would be banned and you would have to show that you owned these prior to the bill going in effect to keep or they would end up where all the other ones waiting for homes would go --- killed!!!!

This also means that if you own any of the above you would not be allowed to breed these (even by accident - ie, hamsters). Any offspring would have to be destroyed.

This will also affect those animals awaiting adoption and other non-native wildlife currently held in captivity such as tigers, elephants, and monkeys that are being held in sanctuarys as well as marine life in aquariums.

From http://www.care2.com/news/member/444155822/1105006

More of my 2 cents....

Personally, I think it has very little to do with Democrat or Republican views. Its my opinion that its more relevant to news stories in recent history about burmese pythons among others that are now thriving in Florida and moving northward along the coast.

Those news reports are what will be used to scare some people into thinking this bill should be passed. And it will be made to sound as if the bill is protecting us from dog swallowing pythons and cat eating nile monitors. Many people won't hear or figure out that it will also apply to things commonly kept by many Americans.

Don't make a mistake in thinking this is not a political issue. I'm not trying to make it a partisan issue. It already is. That's why everyone attached to the bill has a (D) after their name. Any bill introduced into Congress is a partisan issue whether we like it or not. I didn't say that was right....just the way it is. Very few Republicans will vote for this. They generally let individual states decide things like this. Democrats tend to give the Federal government a bigger role in decision making. The majority of them will vote for this. Control (who has it) is the single biggest difference between the two parties. Pick any issue....Our country is in the proccess of arguing about whether the Federal government should control various industries (banking, energy, auto, etc.) and services (healthcare, welfare, etc.) or whether the individual states, individual people or companies should have that control. Some of us feel one way and some of us feel another way on any given issue.

This bill is one bill among many that will pass through this political process. It's extremely personal to us. But it's political to the people in Congress. It will be dealt with by them in a political manner. This is not the result of the sporadic news stories we have all seen. There are significant environmental groups behind this. Groups with a lot of money. Those in Congress will be tugged this way and that by these particular groups (and their sizable campaign contributions), the leadership of their particular party and the level of "the people's" satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it. That's the reality of how laws are passed or not passed in our country. Our mission is to express a sufficient level of dissatisfaction with the bill to counteract the other political forces that are in play.

Sponsor: Del. Madeleine Bordallo [D-GU] (Guam)

Cosponsors:
Rep. Grace Napolitano [D-CA]
Del. Eni Faleomavaega [D-AS]
Rep. Neil Abercrombie [D-HI]
Rep. James McGovern [D-MA]
Rep. Lynn Woolsey [D-CA]
Rep. Raul Grijalva [D-AZ]
Rep. Barbara Lee [D-CA]
Rep. Barney Frank [D-MA]
Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL]
Rep. Ronald Kind [D-WI]
Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI]
Rep. Ron Klein [D-FL]
Rep. George Miller [D-CA]

You probably will not have much influence on the sponsor, but you can definitely put some pressure on the cosponsors.

What!?!?! Guam!?!?!?!:confused:

What about people who can't vote yet? Can they do anything about it by persuading the reps?

Sorry for double posting! Eek!

Sponsor: Del. Madeleine Bordallo [D-GU] (Guam)

Cosponsors:
Rep. Grace Napolitano [D-CA]
Del. Eni Faleomavaega [D-AS]
Rep. Neil Abercrombie [D-HI]
Rep. James McGovern [D-MA]
Rep. Lynn Woolsey [D-CA]
Rep. Raul Grijalva [D-AZ]
Rep. Barbara Lee [D-CA]
Rep. Barney Frank [D-MA]
Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL]
Rep. Ronald Kind [D-WI]
Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI]
Rep. Ron Klein [D-FL]
Rep. George Miller [D-CA]

You probably will not have much influence on the sponsor, but you can definitely put some pressure on the cosponsors.

Personally, I think it has very little to do with Democrat or Republican views.

Did you read the list of Representatives sponsoring this rediculousness?;)

Guam has a slight problem with an invasive brown snake. Minor little issue, witht he thing pretty much laying waste to human civilization and the natural ecosystem over there... biting people in their sleep, etc. Evil bugger...

Guam is not the continential US.

Yes, the people sponsoring it have a D next to their names.

These people sponsoring the bill believe it is their duty to protect the natural ecosystems of the US, even at the cost of the individual rights of everyone else.

They believe that the "importance of preventing invasive species from destroying our habitats" is worth the destruction of individuals' rights.

Problem is, this isnt' going to accomplish squat, other than to make it look like they're doing something for the "greater good".

This is the problem with people who want the government to do stuff for them. The government is only too happy to oblige.

We cannot be relied upon to keep our lizards in cages, so the wonderful guardian angels in DC will do it for us! They can do everything for us!

Why, if only they were to do something really smart, like FORCE us all to buy CFL bulbs....

Why, if only they were to do something really smart, like FORCE us all to buy CFL bulbs....

You know, I could see that backfiring completely- serious keepers who know better (and are probably breeding as well (oh noes!!)), would put their chams outside all the time! Wouldn't that make escape and establishing feral populations ever so much more possible?

If they were REALLY smart, they would do something like get rid of crickets, silk worms, superworms and other feeder sources and then have mandatory spraying of pesticides and herbicides everywhere (for the control of invasive plants, of course!):rolleyes:

You know bills like thismake me want to get 10 males and 10 female veileds breed them and sett al the babies free just to piss the government off! JK JK JK DONT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!

The likelihood of this passing is slim at best. In addition to several reptiles, various small animals such as chinchillas, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, etc. would be banned as well. Not to mention domesticated dogs (GERMAN shepherds, SIBERIAN huskies), many domesticated cats, as well as horses and cattle, just to name a few. All these are animals that are "non-native" to the United States, and if they count pet animals, it's only fair that these animals be counted as well. After all, packs of roaming chameleons damaging the countryside are not common; packs of dogs gone feral are.

Living in Indiana, there is very little damage chameleons could do before dying due to weather. You also have to look at the number of businesses that would die off due to the lack of desire/need for their products. The economy would bust. I agree that something should be done about this, and writing letters would be wonderful. Nip it in the bud before it gets anywhere. After all, if it passes, responsible pet owners may resort to releasing their animals into the wild to avoid their execution...

I'm not sure if that's suppose to be sarcastic or not. But that's already a law that's been passed. By 2012 you can't legally sell/buy incandescent bulbs anymore. You can stock up on it though till the end of 2011.

Edit:
I looked it up, and it's actually by 2014 any light bulb that isn't 30% more efficient than the standard light bulb is banned. So basically no more incandescent bulbs by then (that's what the article said).

Last edited:
It really scares me to think about kids growing up somewhere where they will not be able to stare wide eyed at some of the amazing creatures that we have the ability to keep, learn from, and enjoy. How many biologists and scientists were set on their life path by finding a love for the creatures of the world at a young age. As a child, my tropical tank, my parakeet, and the reptiles, were an in life science lesson, as well as a lesson in responsibility, I could not imagine my childhood without the animals.

Even as an adult the amount of education I have received just by venturing deeper into this hobby is incredible.

It really bums me out that this is even a possibility.

a comparison: (what the government thinks)
CHAMS
Make angry mobs that terrorise cities
Release chemicals into streams that kill fish
have sharp fangs that inflict intense pain and causes kidney failure
will eat Barrak Obama

Cats:
Are cute
eat veggies and dont harm rodents
bring you a lovely gift every afternoon

THIS BILL IS RIDICULUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡iii

Back
Top Bottom