How & When should I have my humidifier on?

Amanda S

I have a carpet chameleon. They require very high humidity. For your chams what do you guys do about the humidifier? Have it on during the day, night, both? For a couple hours at a time? Extended periods? Half an hour every hour? haha I don't know...I'm going to put it on a timer so I wanted you thoughts. Thanks!!

I have a carpet chameleon. They require very high humidity. For your chams what do you guys do about the humidifier? Have it on during the day, night, both? For a couple hours at a time? Extended periods? Half an hour every hour? haha I don't know...I'm going to put it on a timer so I wanted you thoughts. Thanks!!

Funny you ask this. I was just setting up my humidifier for my new carpets.

I have it run for about an hour ever two or three hours during the day. At night humidity usually raises naturally so I only use it during the day. In between mistings. I use PVC to point it into the cage. You may need to tweek it to get the humidity you desire.

What levels are you trying to keep it out. Mine ranges between 60 - 80 . Lowest ever is 50 for a short time.

I will take some pics tonight and post them. I like how it turned out.

Depending on your area's humidity, really.
You might want to avoid constant high humidity all the time.
Last time i did that, mold start growing on my reptile room's wall. :(

Hey thanks for the feedback. I am trying to maintain about the same humidity as you, trying to keep it more towards 80%. I just moved to the mountains in central PA and with the season getting colder it is getting really dry, it just happened yesterday. I wokeup this morning to 38% humidity! I have 3 sides of the cage covered with shower curtain and mist her several times a day. The humidifier seems to be helping and I will set the timer for an hour several times a day.

I do not want my walls to mold so good point there!!! She lives in my kitchen, do you think I should put an air purifier in there? There isn't any food or garbage sitting out ever but I don't really understand airborne bacteria and if it could affect my chameleon.

Also. Ryan. Where did you get your little guys from, how many, genders, yadda yadda. Most importantly, if you have females, what do they weigh?

Hey thanks for the feedback. I am trying to maintain about the same humidity as you, trying to keep it more twards 80%. I just moved to the mountains in central PA and with the season getting colder it is getting really dry, it just happened yesterday. I wokeup this morning to 38% humidity! I have 3 sides of the cage covered with shower curtain and mist her several times a day. The humidifier seems to be helping and I will set the timer for an hour several times a day.

I do not want my walls to mold so good point there!!! She lives in my kitchen, do you think I should put an air purifier in there? There isn't any food or garbage sitting out ever but I don't really understand airborne bacteria and if it could affect my chameleon.

Also. Ryan. Where did you get your little guys from, how many, genders, yadda yadda. Most importantly, if you have females, what do they weigh?

I picked mine up from Jim at the Chameleon Company. I picked up 1 CB male and two CB females all unrelated.

They are all only 2 months old and I have only had them a couple of days so no chance to weigh them yet. Maybe tonight.

Do you have an auto mister? To keep the humidity up in the cages I mist for two minutes every 2 hours. The cage dries out in between. That way I only rely on the humidifier to pick up a littel of the humidity work. This kinda lowers the risk of mold.

Carpets because of the high humidity requirement are more susceptible to URI so you should always keep an eye out for that.

An air cleaner/purifier IMO is worth its weight in gold. I try to provide as clean as an environment for myself and the Chams as I can.

I don't think trash would cause an issue unless it sat and sat for a long time.

I don't have an auto-mister, I just got my carpet and have only had her a couple months but I plan on getting a second soon and then will invest in the auto-mister. What kind of air purifier do you have? Same as the humidifier's there are so many options! I really can't wait to see pics of your little guys. :) Mine was WC and Mike from FLChams thought she was about 10 months old. She weighed 18g and is now 24, 2 months later.

I talked to the vet about the URI and know everything to watch for, thanks for the advice, I'll be looking. Do you know if Jim has more carpets? I'd like a little CB one.

Back
Top Bottom