How Tell a Female From Male?

El Camaleon

I'm wonder how one can tell if a panther chameleon is a female or male? Here is a couple of pictures of my ambilobe panther of 5 months, what do I need to look at to tell what sex it is?

the colors say female because the females are usually peachy or orangish colored but some of the males can look that way when younger also. The males usually have a "bump" where their vent is. As others have suggested, post a pic of vent and tail area.

Ok here is the pictures from the base of her tail, I don't see a bump. Also is it normal for her to be that color? When I hold her she is light and bright but when in her cage she is darker like in this picture or sometimes darker.

the colors show female

the last pic with her having no junk proves 100% she is a girl

and a purdy one at that:)

Definitely a female. She's lovely. Her color looks normal to me. She could be cold? They darken when their trying to absorb more heat from their lights.

Definitely a female. She's lovely. Her color looks normal to me. She could be cold? They darken when their trying to absorb more heat from their lights.

She is basking under 88 deg about 8" above her. She stays that color most of the day unless i hold her then goes lighter like in the first pics.

Is it normal for her to be dark like in the last pic posted? Or is she stressed out or maybe anxiety?

you might of stressed her a bit, those are stress colors or scared...

but th first pic is the nice calm look females should be:)

you might of stressed her a bit, those are stress colors or scared...

but th first pic is the nice calm look females should be:)

That's strange I got her this week, The first day she was fine brightly colored, but the past 3 days shes been darker like in the pics. Maybe she has new home anxiety or maybe because she not used to me? here is a pic of her cage.

hmmm i think you should should tr and get a umbrella plant, or ficus plant for more foilage. the sticks are good might need to make some horizontal ones and move the one you have around a bit

the placement ff hte heating bulb is too close in the center

try to move it in a corner of the cage, and let her warm herself up as she pleases, the rest of her cage should be in the 70's

her heat lamp should be in the 80's.

everything else seems fine, overall i think its just give her time to adjust to the new home, might take a week or two, depends on the individual cham

hmmm i think you should should tr and get a umbrella plant, or ficus plant for more foilage. the sticks are good might need to make some horizontal ones and move the one you have around a bit

the placement ff hte heating bulb is too close in the center

try to move it in a corner of the cage, and let her warm herself up as she pleases, the rest of her cage should be in the 70's

her heat lamp should be in the 80's.

everything else seems fine, overall i think its just give her time to adjust to the new home, might take a week or two, depends on the individual cham

Ok i'm going to go to lowes and pick up a ficus and some rocks to cover the soil.

Also what I noticed is that when i feed her in her feeding cup, She does not shoot her tongue to catch her food. She goes up to the feeders and just bites them. I think I only seen her use it twice, only to shoot it from close range. Is that something normal?

Also what I noticed is that when i feed her in her feeding cup, She does not shoot her tongue to catch her food. She goes up to the feeders and just bites them. I think I only seen her use it twice, only to shoot it from close range. Is that something normal?
yeah with cup feeding they cheat and get close mine usually gets within 5inches try getting a deeper cup to make her have to use her tongue i read somewhere that if they dont use it fully everyone once in a while it will shorten. its probably true cause if humans dont use a muscle for a while they get smaller.:rolleyes:

She looks fine too me - normal colour range

No, I would say that is not normal. I mostly cup feed and they still use their tongues from distance. Have you tried free-ranging a cricket just to watch her hunt and ensure she can use her tongue properly.

Back
Top Bottom