How low is too low of a tempature?

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
I live in central Florida and it's going to be getting cold this week as low as 55 degs. this week. Is this too low for a night time tempature, I plan to bring him in within the next week or so. He is a year old panther.

I think 55 is too low, i dont think that i would leave my cham out in that temp. I think the lowest id go is 65

Actually 50 degrees is about the lowest temp you want to go. Nothing less than that! Let me edit this, real quick here, they are survivable in that temp but I don't think I would leave my chameleon outside if it got below 50

I agree with carol they can survive in those velied is 65 or panthers dont know which but just because they can dosent mean they should so put them in :) nice and snuggly :D but like I and carol said humans can handle swimming in ice cold water dosent mean I want too lol ;P

While they can survive to lower temps, 60F is the lowest I would ever want them to deal with. 65F is the lowest I allow my panthers to be subjected to at night

I do know of someone who had a chameleon in florida here and pretty much kept it outside year round except on the winter nights when it gets really cold. They left it outside in 50 degrees at night. As I said, it will survive, it will probably not kill your chameleon but it might not be the best thing to do either. It lived outside for about 5 years that way.

Woah really? I need to bring mine inside then. Gosh, I'm so out of the weather loop now that I don't have TV lol

Supposedly veileds can handle those temperatures at night, but I dont think leaving a panther out there would be good.

Here in Southern California I had panthers, veileds and oustaletis outside 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. The only times they were brought in was when it would freeze. They then when right back out in the morning before I left for work. I can remember many times putting them in their enclosure with frost on the ground (remember what works for one may not work for another. This worked for me and mine for over 6 years). These animals are a lot tougher than most people think.

Chuck

I agree with carol they can survive in those velied is 65 or panthers dont know which but just because they can dosent mean they should so put them in :) nice and snuggly :D but like I and carol said humans can handle swimming in ice cold water dosent mean I want too lol ;P

well said! nice analogy! lol

Do you house your chameleons outside then year round? If so, what temps doyou leave them outside at night?

Not really, I've just started leaving them outside in turns (I only have two screened balcony free ranges) for a couple days at a time, but it feels evil to leave them outside if there's a risk of <60 degrees. I wouldn't want to be outside in 50* weather, I can tell you that! lol So I guess 60 is my cut-off temp, but depends. My jackson's would probably like it, but my baby panther maybe not so much.

I was just wondering because I am going to be moving my chameleon back to my patio. He basically is out there most of the day but the cage is inside. I bring him outside for sun and then back in the cage so he can bask and get additional uvb if he wants it. I did not want to get into hanging lights and stuff on my patio. I am just waiting for the weather to get a little cooler during the day where I feel comfortable leaving him outside all day and then there is the night issue of course.

My balcony is nearly completely shaded, and my thermometer doesn't read more than 85* at any point, even if it's 95* in the sun. And absolutely everyone is doing fantastic since they've been out there. They get direct sun in the morning and afternoon when the sun hits at an angle, and I provide lots of cool misting duing the day. But when we start getting colder nights, I'll bring them inside to sleep. Also, important to note, they have the whole large balcony to roam and find different temps, so they aren't stuck in a cage.

Sunlight is like spinach for Popeye :D I swear they're different animals when they live outside, they're so much happier.

IMG_1223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom