How long until I need to worry?

derekcbass

I have an Ambanja panther female that is about 8-9 months. I have kept veileds before, as well as many other herps, new to panthers though. I am certain that she is gravid, although she isn't really showing the coloration. She is bulged and has decreased her food intake. She has not been with a male. I have a 12"x12" lay bin with 70/30 eco earth/sand mix in her enclosure. She doesn't really seem to be looking for a place to lay. She was searching the bottom of her enclosure for a while one day, but has shown no interest in the lay bin. How long until I need to worry? It has been maybe a week and a half since I first noticed signs of her possibly being gravid.

Your Chameleon - Ambanja Panther, 8-9 months
Handling - Whenever I open the cage to feed or water and she climbs onto my hand, which is fairly often
Feeding - Dubia, crickets, giant mealworms, hornworms
Supplements - ZooMed Calcium without D3 every feeding except RepCal Calcium with Vit D once a week or Herptivite once every other week.
Watering - Monsoon every 2 hours daily, Dripper 2-3 days a week, Reptifogger occasionally
Fecal Description - Normal

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Reptibreeze 18x18x36
Lighting - 75w Basking, Exo Terra UVB100 26w, Exo Terra Natural Light 26w
Temperature - Gradient 70-80 degrees, Basking 92 degrees
Humidity - 60-80%
Plants - Ficus tree, numerous fake plants
Placement - Chest height, Not near windows
Location - Wisconsin

If she hasn't been with a male then she can not be gravid.
As for her laying eggs, that is a bit early. That isn't to say it couldn't happen, however. If she isn't looking to dig, then you do not have to worry. She will try when she is ready. Have you felt her belly for the eggs?

On a side note, I would lower your basking temps down to the low 80s. Female panthers don't really need a basking spot and access to higher temps will increase her clutch size decreasing her live span.

Thanks Devokid. By gravid I meant that she is carrying eggs. I haven't felt for eggs, but I can see the misshapen bulges just in front of the rear legs and she seems rather pudgy. She hasn't been eating much, maybe 3 worms or roaches a day. I will lower her basking temp tomorrow morning. I just worry about egg binding. Any other reasons for the lowered food intake? She had been eating like a pig up until recently.

She can carry infertile eggs as early as 5-6 months. I have had a 6 month old lay before. You may want to get her a larger bin or a trash can. Moisten just so it holds form if she trys to dig. If she is at the bottom, fat, and off food = she IS gravid. A vet check and some oxytocin may be in order. First timers have issues sometimes. I have seen a couple just drop the eggs on top of dirt and move on. Generally, they figure it out by round two.

OK great. Thank you. She isn't showing the dark coloration, should I wait until she does to try to remove her from her enclosure and put her into a specific lay bin, or just use a larger bin in her enclosure?

Also, how long is the average for panthers to carry eggs before laying?

Back
Top Bottom