How does this whole gravid thing work?

Bitfly

This is my first Chameleon, female. I was told she was 3 months when I got her and now she is 5 months old and 12" long.

In the last week she has looked a bit fat and crawling down to the bottom of the cave snooping around more than before.

From what I understand she is looking for a place to dig some eggs.

Could be be carrying eggs even though she is only 5 months and ever even seen a male?

I'm worried so thanks for your help.

Yes, she absolutely can have eggs even though she's only 5 months old and has never been with a male.

I think any female of that age should have a laying bin in the cage. Ideally this is a 12x12x12 tub filled with moist clean play sand (you can buy it at Wal Mart or Home Depot, in the garden department). It should be moist enough to hold a tunnel you push out with your finger.

You should read Kinyongia's blog post about keeping females. It's best if they do not lay often and if they lay smaller clutches of eggs. Her techniques can help you with that.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Yes, females will often times develop unfertilized eggs that they need to lay (or become eggbound) even if they've never mated. Assuming it is a female Veiled, as in your avatar, 5 months is on the lower end of when this species normally reaches sexual maturity.

I'd fill a 5 gal bucket or large rubbermaid container with about 8-12" of play sand or play sand/potting soil mix (i.e., sandy soil) that is just damp enough to form a good tunnel. Pack it tightly, add a branch or plant to perch on, a heat lamp, and give her some privacy. If she needs to lay (which is sounds like she does) usually these conditions are conducive to laying. You can spy on her from a distance, but as she is digging/laying don't disturb her--she may abandon the nest and start over, stressing her unnecessarily. If she shows no interest after a day you can remove her to her cage and try again later. Eventually she'll either lay, or not ;)

cj

Ok shoot. What's my window of opportunity before it becomes a problem? I don't know if I can get sand for a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom