How Close Do Chams Need to be Able to Get to UVB Bulb

natureboy86

I just want to ensure that I have enough highways and levels for my little guy to get to the appropriate range of my reptisun 5.0. I have a 2x2x3 enclosure, with two live plants, vines, branches, and some fake leaves. My question is, how close does my cham need to be able to get to the UVB in order for him to absorb the rays? Lately, Koopa has been darker than usual, a lot of brown. This isn't occuring only while basking. It's been the last two days when I got home. When I take him outside, he's usually a lot brighter, green and flourescent blue. I'm wondering if he's not getting the proper amount of UVB rays in his enclosure. Here's a pic

If you notice the top left of the enclosure, there's a dark brown vine that connects to the top-left side of the cage above the pothos plant. That's the closest he can get to the UVB bulb, but it's only the end of the bulb and probably not a whole lot of exposure. The next closest distance would be the light brown sticks that run accross the enclosure, and the distance, as you can see, is about 1'-2' away give or take.

Is this sufficient, or should I add another branch much closer that runs parallel to the UVB bulb?

Anybody? I've just read conflicting statements. Some say they need to be able to get within a foot of the UVB, and others have said they should be able to get about 6 inches away from the UVB.. If that's the case, I'll need to add a new highway for Koopa to give him closer access to the reptisun.

I would let himget as close as he wants so long as burning isnt possible just beacuse he should be able to get warm as needed and be able to go lower to get cooler. mabey put another branch just to allow a better temp. gradient.

I have branches in my cages that come within inches of the top and some that even touch the top, to let the chameleon decide. UV exposure will be stronger the closer they get to the bulb, and they know to move closer or farther depending on how much they know they need. So I would let him be the judge, especially since he can't burn from that bulb. You can leave things a little farther away from the basking bulb but I'd let him choose his preferred UV exposure.

Ok so it is important to allow them to get as close as possible to the uvb bulb then? they can't burn from that bulb? I know it doesn't release heat like a basking bulb, but I want to make sure that it's vital for them to be able to get close to the UVB

No, the Reptisun 5.0 is not strong enough to cause any sort of burns, thermal or otherwise. Especially not through screen.

You also want them to be able to choose between heat and UV, since they may not always want both. Maybe he's nice and warm but still needs another hour of good UVB exposure, so they'll wander out from under the basking spot and over under the opposite end of the UVB light (which is why it's good to put the basking spot over to one side and use the linear tube UV lights, in my opinion). If they have lots of perches then they can decide how much exposure they need.

And then have at least one good, dense, shaded area so they can escape all light/warmth if they need to.

No, the Reptisun 5.0 is not strong enough to cause any sort of burns, thermal or otherwise. Especially not through screen.

You also want them to be able to choose between heat and UV, since they may not always want both. Maybe he's nice and warm but still needs another hour of good UVB exposure, so they'll wander out from under the basking spot and over under the opposite end of the UVB light (which is why it's good to put the basking spot over to one side and use the linear tube UV lights, in my opinion). If they have lots of perches then they can decide how much exposure they need.

And then have at least one good, dense, shaded area so they can escape all light/warmth if they need to.

Awesome.. Thanks for the advice. So, looking at the pic from my OP, should I add a branch that runs across the top parralel with the UVB light? I'm thinking that may be my next move to give him closer exposure to the UVB

Awesome.. Thanks for the advice. So, looking at the pic from my OP, should I add a branch that runs across the top parralel with the UVB light? I'm thinking that may be my next move to give him closer exposure to the UVB

You might just want to add some vert branches that hit the top instead of along the light, so the cham can adjust how he wants it. Its how i have my setup. Some times hes hanging on the screen directly under the bulb getting warm, other times hes a foot or so down on the same branch. You cant hurt a came with a UV light if you setup the cage correctly so they can regulate themselves.

Run a branch perpendicular to the bulb, 6 inches away.

This adivice is contradicting to what I and the other posters have said. Why would you want it 6 inches away? the animal can tell how close it wants to be and how much it needs as has been said multiple times.

This would be the branch the Cham would go to in order to regulate UVB. I am assuming he also has a basking perch and other branches at varying heights throughout the enclosure.

:confused:So many mixed suggestions.. And yes, please there are multiple levels for the cham to rest and/or climb to regulate its temps. Please see the pic i posted in the OP.

so someone says to but a vertical branch that goes all the way to the top?? Another says run a branch parallel to the bulb, 6 inches away.. Not sure what to do here..

With that being said, thank you all for your opinions thus far.. let's continue this discussion to get a consensus! :)

Uh the blackhawk said perp to the light, not parallel.

No he edited it and said parallel.. So which is it!? lol:confused:

I'm going to give him another branch today. Plan A is to have it be the highest horizontal branch he can crawl on, and it will be about 4-6 inches away from the UVB bulb, running parallel unless suggested otherwise by you more experienced cham owners

You can set it up any way you want, vert, parallel, 45 degree, just make sure the cham can regulate by having multiple spots in the light several distances away.

Very nice setup. I had to keep moving my 5.0 closer and closer until it now sits on top of the screen. Rambo's highest vine is about 10" from the screen and his back sits about 5-6" from the top of the screen. I had to keep it that far away because his casque is so tall that he hits it on the top if I don't. He's already damaged it doing that and I had a pretty good vet bill to get it fixed. So, I would say to let your chameleon get as close as it can without causing any damage to itself and let them decide but keep in mind that he can hit is head and damage himself without intending to.

Very nice setup. I had to keep moving my 5.0 closer and closer until it now sits on top of the screen. Rambo's highest vine is about 10" from the screen and his back sits about 5-6" from the top of the screen. I had to keep it that far away because his casque is so tall that he hits it on the top if I don't. He's already damaged it doing that and I had a pretty good vet bill to get it fixed. So, I would say to let your chameleon get as close as it can without causing any damage to itself and let them decide but keep in mind that he can hit is head and damage himself without intending to.

Thank you. Will take advice. I think I'm going to add a branch running somewhat parellel to the UVB about 6-8 inches from the top of the cage. it'll be his highest highway. Thank you all for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom