House Flies

slinko9

Has anybody tried to use house flies as a feeder?? Was just wondering cuz you could raise the maggots on gutload and once the sprout wings they would be fun little targets for our hunters!!!
Has anyone tried to raise them or even used them??
Ciao For Now,
Lu

Has anybody tried to use house flies as a feeder?? Was just wondering cuz you could raise the maggots on gutload and once the sprout wings they would be fun little targets for our hunters!!!
Has anyone tried to raise them or even used them??
Ciao For Now,
Lu

Hmmm i never thought of that...its not too hard to get maggots either...

House flies yes, flies you find in your house... Wouldnt recommend it due to parasite risk.

There are many places that sell fly larvae and pupae CHEAP. This is what i do recommend, cheap, easy to raise and chameleons LOVE them :)

I go through Mantisplace.com

According to this I don't think you can gutload them with the same food as crickets and roaches. I will be trying these though. They should provide a lot of stimulation to chams.

According to this I don't think you can gutload them with the same food as crickets and roaches. I will be trying these though. They should provide a lot of stimulation to chams.

This is correct, their bbf food or even a dab of honey will work.

Nutritionally theyre not very good, but I only use them as a snack for the most part. Maybe 10-15% of their diet

Mantisplace is where I get mine. If your cham has any size to it I suggest ordering the blue bottle flies as they are bigger and actually easier to deal with. They keep much longer if you read the care sheet on the site.

Here is what I do to get the most nutrition out of them. You can gut load them on fruit juices or pieces of fruit. They will eat the dried honey and bee pollen that you can order from the site. I also dust them with the honey/bee pollen and spirulina or wheat grass powder. It sticks to them pretty well.

Oh i was thinkin you could feed the maggots like bug burger and have well gutloaded flies,,,,damn!!!

I raise my own blue bottles for my praying mantis, so I have them for the chameleons as "treats". I don't like houseflies, blue bottles are bigger.

I think you can get the maggots from trash...my trash has lot of maggots..lol
do the flies fly all over the place tho? with the viv i have the top half is pretty open so i think a fly can get thru if it tried...lol dont want a house full of flys! well my 4 cats wld be happy about that tho! :D

Yes you did,,I must of overlooked that one,,,sounds like worth a try so my cham can have some fun hunting down them varmits!!!

My Veiled Dude loves them... Get them from Mantisplace and put them in a screened shoe box type container for 2 days and then u will suddendly have a few hundred. Put the container in the fridge for 20 minutes to slow them down and then scoop 20 or so in a cup. release them in the cage and watch the show!

Yes you did,,I must of overlooked that one,,,sounds like worth a try so my cham can have some fun hunting down them varmits!!!

Cool!! You can find spirulina and wheat grass powder in organic or vitamin stores. I know they arent much different than each other but one has 1 or 2 other "nutrients" than the other.

Back
Top Bottom