Hornworms too large

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
The remainder of my hornworms have become way too large for my little guy. I honestly don't want to turn them into moths, but clearly don't want to simply throw them away. I thought about taking them to a park and letting them go there, but I don't know of the ecological impact this could have. I live in San Francisco.

Would I it be harmless to let them go in a park?

I did also spend a decent amount of time searching this forum for answers, but didn't come across anything clear.

Thanks!

The remainder of my hornworms have become way too large for my little guy. I honestly don't want to turn them into moths, but clearly don't want to simply throw them away. I thought about taking them to a park and letting them go there, but I don't know of the ecological impact this could have. I live in San Francisco.

Would I it be harmless to let them go in a park?

I did also spend a decent amount of time searching this forum for answers, but didn't come across anything clear.

Thanks!
Ummmmmmmm can I have them lol

Just give them to someone.... In the future when you buy pods... You can either do 24 hours in the fridge on the door and then 24 hours out. Or you can do the same idea with sitting them on ice packs 24 hours on and 24 hours off. This slows the growth quite a bit.

Great to know for the future. Thanks, as always!

I’m still curious if there would be any harm ecologically if I let them go in a larger park. Does anyone know?
I don't think so, but that would be a waste of $10, maybe post an ad on nextdoor? SF is pretty dense, I'm sure there are other reptiles keepers near you that would be glad to take them off your hands.

Why don't you want to let them pupate though?

I’m still curious if there would be any harm ecologically if I let them go in a larger park. Does anyone know?
I had this problem once, they actually got RIDICULOUSLY large because something was set in front of them and I forgot they were there. I let them go and the birds seemed to snatch them up right away.

I have that same question though; maybe I shouldn't have done that. The alternative is killing them I suppose. Aren't hornworms common on tomato plants, though? I thought they were an existing species (considered a pest, but not uncommon). Good idea to check by state though.

Back
Top Bottom