homemade gutload (not cheap)

StickyTongues

Hello everyone,
I made some homemade gutload today.
I use:
6oz Mixed berries (strawberry, Blueberry, raspberry, blackberry), 2 apples, 2 oranges, 3oz papaya, 2 carrots, 3oz sweet potato, 3oz butternut squash, 1 leek bulb,3 leafs of romain lettuce, fist full of mustard greens, a fist full of cranberry hibuscus leaves and flowers, 4oz alfalfa strouts, 2 tbls wheat germ, 1 tbls flaxseed, 1 tbls sesame seed, 1 tbls brewers yeast, 2 tbls oat meal.

I blended this up till it was really smooth (about 20 minutes) The end product was good looking. It was firm enough to hold its shape but wet enough that a pile of it on a plate would go flat if you tapped the plate on the counter.

Any thoughts on my recipe? Anything you would have added more or less of? anything i didnt add that you would have? I know i should have some bee pollen and maybe spirulina in it, but i ran out of money.... All that stuff was already running me $50.... my wife was not pleased! I did almost get her to taste it though...lol

Danny

Dang!! How long do u expect this to keep?? 50 bones is a LOT of money but if u can freeze some portions and get a month or so out of it that would be reasonable... :)

I'm freezing them in 1 quart zip lock freezer bags. I put 8oz per bag and laid it flat. tomorrow i will put each one in a vacuum bag so it should keep for a long time in the freezer. I should also mention that i made 2 batches for a total of about 5 pounds. I still have most of the ingredients i purchased unused. I will probably feed off the rest of the greens to the Flemmish Rabbits we have. the papaya and the squash will go to our red worm bin. We gotta spread the wealth around...lol

Danny

It was kinda of an impulse thing. We have a pretty decent garden and next time i will grow most of the items.

Danny

haha, I know the situation. Happens to me all the time.

When you start considering leaving your motorcycle outside to turn the garage into a year round green house you have problems.

Hello everyone,
I made some homemade gutload today.
I use:
6oz Mixed berries (strawberry, Blueberry, raspberry, blackberry), 2 apples, 2 oranges, 3oz papaya, 2 carrots, 3oz sweet potato, 3oz butternut squash, 1 leek bulb,3 leafs of romain lettuce, fist full of mustard greens, a fist full of cranberry hibuscus leaves and flowers, 4oz alfalfa strouts, 2 tbls wheat germ, 1 tbls flaxseed, 1 tbls sesame seed, 1 tbls brewers yeast, 2 tbls oat meal.

[...]Any thoughts on my recipe? Anything you would have added more or less of? anything i didnt add that you would have? I know i should have some bee pollen and maybe spirulina in it, but i ran out of money.... All that stuff was already running me $50.... my wife was not pleased! I did almost get her to taste it though...lol

Danny

Good list. You could save some money by leaving out the mixed berries and one of the oranges next time. Add in a little bull kelp or spirulina if you can :)
Some alfalfa would also be a nice addition.

Im suprised it would cost so much. I use many of the same ingredients and while I do grow much of it, I've never spent $50 to make a gutload. You must have quite a bit leftover for future mixes ?

haha, I know the situation. Happens to me all the time.

When you start considering leaving your motorcycle outside to turn the garage into a year round green house you have problems.

my 02 R1 has been in the rain a few times now....LOL :D

Good list. You could save some money by leaving out the mixed berries and one of the oranges next time. Add in a little bull kelp or spirulina if you can :)
Some alfalfa would also be a nice addition.

Im suprised it would cost so much. I use many of the same ingredients and while I do grow much of it, I've never spent $50 to make a gutload. You must have quite a bit leftover for future mixes ?

The cost was pretty high do to the fact i bought most of the ingredients from a health food store. i do have a ton of stuff left over. I made a total of 5 lbs of gutload and the only thing i ran out of was the mixed fruit. The first batch i used alfalfa but the second batch did not.
Thanks for all the input!

Danny

Back
Top Bottom