his tongue pulled off please help!

Google shows you to be near Pittsburg. Here is a listing of a vet that shows a chameleon in the ad. Give them a call.

VCA Northview Animal Hospital Specialty Referral Center
3.614 reviewsAnimal Hospital
People talk about: exam roomquality carepreventive carewaiting roomveterinary emergency
223 Siebert Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 (412) 364-5353

This is the very vet that I took Clouseau to see. Dr. Pleban is very knowledgeable and they are a 24 hour animal care hospital. I am not sure what kind of payment plans they have but she also treated my beardie when her throat was crammed with old food. She got it all out and Izzy is fine now. Clouseau is also recovering nicely. I highly recommend them for reptile care.

I called there but they couldn't take him today I called 6 different places . it happened when he went to get the cricket from my hand. He missed and his tounge completely over took my finger . he refuses to go lower than that on the branch. He flips out and tries to climb the glass. I am really hoping it retracts. This has to happen sometimes in the wild right?

That vet says they are a 24 hour vet. Did you explain this is an emergency? It says they will take him. I am sure this does happen in the wild. If he is not able to retract the tongue he will die. Unless it is amputated. That is what would happen in the wild.
If you want me to call the vet I will. I CAN get them to see your cham. Just say the word.

I hope you come back on the forum soon and let us know what is happening. I am hoping you logged off to go to the vet.

I'm so sorry this happened. It must be so devastating seeing your guy like that and not being able to do anything about it. I hope there is a solution to your problem and soon.

If you want me to call the vet I will. I CAN get them to see your cham. Just say the word.
I love this!

Their 24hr vet wasn't an exotic one at least that's what they told me. He amputated it himself... Its not bleeding or anything and idk If any is left or what. He seems happier without it. After it came off he went to bed so he seems more comfortable anyways.

What do you mean he amputated it himself?? He still needs to be seen by a vet. He might get an infection. Don't assume he is going to be fine.

Their 24hr vet wasn't an exotic one at least that's what they told me. He amputated it himself... Its not bleeding or anything and idk If any is left or what. He seems happier without it. After it came off he went to bed so he seems more comfortable anyways.

Ouch! Poor guy. I wonder how he'll eat & drink now

Very sorry to hear. I would recommend seeing a vet and get him antibiotics. Sounds like your going to have full hands now. Good luck to you and your cham.

I know he's going to need antibiotics to combat any infection. He was never not hand fed and I have no doubt he'll be able to take the bugs without a tongue. He priorly would open his mouth for me to spray it in for him so I think he'll get along rather normally. My poor guy I can't believe this happened. He is being pretty good about it too. I'm not sure if he bit it off or pulled it off but I'm glad he is in less pain now.

I am so sorry this happened to your chameleon. We have had others on here whose chameleons lost their tongues. They can survive. I don't think it is safe to assume that your chameleon is not in pain. Imagine if you bit off your tongue. I mean maybe I am wrong, but because they do not cry or scream out like a dog or some other type of animal it is hard to assess how much pain they are really feeling. I hope he makes it and can live as normal a life as possible with you. Good luck to you and your little guy.

I have no doubt he isn't in pain but I feel like he is in a lot less than when it was hanging to the ground and when he was stepping on it. I'm going to try and make an appt to get him seen tmr by the vet.

Also my guy has always been a bit vocal. Like when he got mad he'd sigh or huff like I could hear it. And when he opened his mouth an was thrashing his head about he made a noise also. I just hope to god he is getting a little peace by resting .

Northview is a 24 hour vet and they have at least two reptile vets; Dr. Pleban and another vet but I cannot remember her name. I know they would not have been able to see your chameleon today as a regular appointment but they could have in an emergency because I tried to make an appointment for Clouseau because of his eye. Dr. Pleban actually returned my call and we agreed that he probably could wait until Tuesday but I was told if he needed to be seen I could bring him in no problem.

I don't think it is safe to assume that your chameleon is not in pain. Imagine if you bit off your tongue. Good luck to you and your little guy.

Omar has quite a strong response when I am putting medication on his burn. I can feel him pulling away from the Qtip as I apply the antibiotic. I got some on a cut when I was doing this and it does burn a bit. I just wish there was a way to make him understand it is not by choice that I am doing this to him. He seems terrified when I take him out. He digs his claws into my hand and holds on so tightly it sometimes breaks my skin. My hand is full of little Omar scratches.

Thank you so much everybody for your responses, this has been a traumatic and horrible event for the both of us. The good news is that he doesn't seem lethargic or aggressive in any way. All his motor functions seem to be working well. I feel like he could use some water though so I plan on heavily misting his cages several times today . he hates when it sprays directly on him so I really don't want to stress him out today. Hopefully I can get an apt for the vets today

Since your post I began googling this and I have read that Its no so uncommon as some of us had thought, I have to tell you I would be in a panicked state !

Please keep us posted to his update after his vet visit.

GOOD LUCK !

Okay I have an appointment for 1130 on Saturday. My main concern now is getting some water because I'm sure he is dehydrated, any advice on how to get him to drink? He won't open when I drop it in front of him. I did see him open his mouth and there is a little piece of tongue in there I think.

Put him on a plant in the shower and let it shower on the side of the shower so small droplets hit the plant. That and maybe try to feed him a few small silkworms. Good luck and I wish you two the best.

Back
Top Bottom