Here Is A Cheap Drainage Tray Option

fimbriatus

I just made a cheap drainage tray from an extra storage container I had and a $3.49 bulkhead (http://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-1-4-inch-bulkhead.html)

I'm going to attach 1/4'' tubing to the bulkhead and gravity feed it into a bucket.

All you need is a drill with a 9/16 spade bit. Not the most professional looking, but will work. Forgive me if this has been posted before.
IMG_8085.JPG
IMG_8086.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG

Omg I didn't even think about using a mistking bulkhead to allow it naturally to drain in another. I can't remember is there way to make sure it only drains at certain times? I have been taking my cage on and off each time which means once a week I have to do a major cleaning, while I used to only do it once a month while I spot clean every day.

Cool idea, but I believe you will still have an inch or so of water at the bottom all the time. This can start to smell pretty bad after a while o_O. Might be better if it were at the bottom and the bin was tilted a bit? That way most water would drain immediately.

I may be looking at your photos incorrectly, but in my experience water splatter will find it's way to all 4 sides of the 2 x 2 floor, and leak wherever the cage hangs over past the water container. In fact splatters will go out all 4 sides through the bottom edge of the cage, that is why I use the trays that WAMBO recommended.

CHEERS!

Nick

The washer trays also come with a port that fits the vinyl hose sold by the foot at Home Depot or Lowes. The port can be set in the bottom on one edge, they mark the place to put it. I just have my 5-gallon waste water bucket sticking out a bit. That eliminates 99% of standing water, you just prop the bak up a little.

CHEERS!

Nick

Thank you for your responses, the washer pans definitely look like the better way to go.
Use both. The washer pan will add the extra safety needed to protect your floors, in case the sides of the cage leak. For $20, you can't lose.

Back
Top Bottom