Help!

Helen

Hi,
I have had my veiled chameleon for 8 days now & she still hasnt eaten!! I am new to this but was told that she just needs to get use to her new environment. I have been leavivng the locusts in with her and putting greens in also, I have seen her trying to eat the greens but doesnt touch the locusts at all, I have tried crickets also :( getting concerned now, please can anyone advise me on what to do! will she eat on her own? and how best to approach the feeding?

Thank you

Helen

Yes, after 8 days she should be eating.
What are her basking temps?
What kind of lights do you have?
With what are you measuring the temp?
Is she sleeping at night and there are no lights on?
Is she in a active, noisey area?
Is she drinking?
Have you seen any droppings (poop!)?

how large are the crickets and locusts?. If they are too big she might not eat them. Try some smaller ones if they are large.

The temp in her viv is 84-88 degrees, it has a internal thermostat. she has a 5%uv lamp that it on a timer so goes off at night & a red heat lamp. The locusts are the ones they were feeding her on in the shop so should be ok...just dont understand it! if she wants to nibble on the greens then why isnt she interested in the locusts :confused: she is very active & i have seen some poop...

Thanks guys, appreciate your help :)

Is that basking or ambient temp? And does that red light turn off at night?
The red light should be replaced by a house hold bulb, if additional heat is needed a ceramic heat emitter is a good idea. also no lights at night chameleons can see the red light contrary to what pet stores will tell you.

Hi, its the ambient temp & no the red light stays on, its just the uv light that goes off...do you think this would help?

no heat or light at night. Unless your temps are getting down past 50 degrees I would not put heat on the cage.

ok, got hubby on the case for a normal bulb but i am concerned as we are in England if the heat lamp is turned off at night does it not matter that the temp of the tank will fall dramatically?

House temperature at night is fine. I live in Denmark and my night temperatures are 21-23 celcius - Works fine for my panthers.

88 sounds super high for ambient im pretty sure females basking spot is supposed to be in the mid to high 80s

88 sounds super high for ambient im pretty sure females basking spot is supposed to be in the mid to high 80s

88 is technically the high 80's ;)

and basking temps for females should stay between 81 and 84.

This helps them reduce the amount of eggs they will lay.

88 is technically the high 80's ;)

and basking temps for females should stay between 81 and 84.

This helps them reduce the amount of eggs they will lay.
he said ambient not basking!? Did you have your coffee this morning?!:p I see what you are saying though!!! lol

he said ambient not basking!? Did you have your coffee this morning?!:p I see what you are saying though!!! lol

Still working on it!!1

probably woudl help if i could read better..

Its too early, and im worked up, KERMIT IS COMING HOME!!!

Lol i know the feeling, working nights for the past few weeks.

Back on topic so youre gonna want to set your basking spot to the mid to low 80s wich will drop your ambient temp into the mid 70s

I'm in Scotland and to keep temps up I use a basking light during the day and a ceramic heat emitter a night. Both on thermostats. Works fine.

I see,that may be the problem then, my thermostat is in the middle of the viv & only have the ambient temp. I will get a plain bulb & a ceramic heat lamp & hope she starts to eat! Thanks all :)

Back
Top Bottom