Help with Veiled please!!!

Leedslad88

Hi all,

Just wanted to hear your opinions.....

I have been to the Vet today and he is a top Herp vet here in the UK but even he was stumped!!!

I have kept my Veiled (Rex) for almost three years now and he has been totally fine. However, for the past week he hasn't eaten, although he has been very fit. I have not seen him poop for a week neither (vet confimred there was no impaction) Hoever, i woke up this morning to find him on the floor of his cage, he has become lathargic and looks to be dehydrated. I have put him in the shower this morning and he perked up a little and have increased his misting. However he still is on the floor.....

It almost as if he has lost the will to live and the vet has absolutely no idea why this is. The vet gave him a shot of anti-biotics and somethign to hydrate him....

ANy ideas please????? i really dont want to lose and him and want to know i have done EVERYTHING i possibly can!!!:

I am so sorry to hear that your cham is not well. Has he had a fecal lately before he became ill to make sure he doesn't have parasites?

How can you have some fecals done today if you haven't seen him poop in a week??

I also thought of what Jannb and Eliza are talking about. It either sounds like parasites or just him being too old.

About parasites, have you added new reptiles to your collection lately?? Have you touched any reptiles at friend's house, at a petstore or exposition??

However, like Kiny asked, if you fill the help form, we will know better! ;)

Not wanting to scare you but i lost a veiled in what sounds like a similar way. He was fine one minute but had not eaten for a day or two and then onto the floor with not much life, took him to the vet where he stayed overnight and perked right up! After injections and rehydration. After a day or so he started to be poorly again so back he went and the vet still had no idea why he was bad in the first place or why he recovered, however this time he discovered that the poor little mite had an absess (sorry spelling?) caused by god knows what. The vet could not spot it the first time because it was very far down his neck and he had no option of surgery because of the relation to his heart, so we took the hard decision to let him go. The only sign of a problem was a little bleed (at the vets when looking down his neck not at home). So the chances are this is not his problem but thought i would as least share the story a little. However these little guys are very funny creatures and can come through a lot of stuff so keep up what sounds like the good care you are giving him hope for the best. Good luck.

How can you have some fecals done today if you haven't seen him poop in a week??

I also thought of what Jannb and Eliza are talking about. It either sounds like parasites or just him being too old.

About parasites, have you added new reptiles to your collection lately?? Have you touched any reptiles at friend's house, at a petstore or exposition??

However, like Kiny asked, if you fill the help form, we will know better! ;)

HI,

The vet put this swab up his passage and collected a sample.

He is stillwith me at the moment....

I have noticed this morning that a few of the spikes on his back seem to be sort of decaying???? Anyone every had this so a can put recommendation forward to the vet? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom