Help with Male Chameleon Veild

Glitch

Hello, I Have a Male and a Female Veiled Chameleon I think the Male is having some problems. They were both purchased at the same they are between 3-5 months old I believe. Humidity levels are at 50-60% in the cage with a Misting Bottle and they drink from the water off the plants. and Temp is between 80-85 rarely 90, as i live in Florida and most of the time my room will naturally get pretty warm so a Low watt Heat bulb stays on. UV-A/B is being replaced since it burnt out yesterday but they have been on once since we got them. Fake plants all through the housing and paper towels on the lining. Currently they have both been in the same cage for about a month ish, until about Monday when my other housing unit comes in for the female. We feed Twice week about a dozen and a half crickets with calcium dust. The female we know eats because she hunts and is very active her colors are bright and we can tell shes growing and is staying fit and not getting fat. The male on the other hand ive noticed kinda takes a bit to wake up and is real slow, Since we got him didn't really eat much but every once in a while When he did eat he chowed down, and is in a growth spurt and is staying small. His green isnt as bright but he has more browns then greens *i dont know if thats his natural color or not though* And he likes to hang out in a cornor most of the time or sleep with his head on a leaf. And when he goes brown or changes to a Darker color, he stays it for a while.

thanks for the help and input.
DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0798.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

Where do you live in FL? What's wrong with his tail? They should have been in separate cages long ago. I'm going to send you my blog and you need the exact items I have listed and there's a link to show pictures of most of them. You have to have the proper lighting and the three different supplements. Can you please post a better picture of his tail...it looks injured.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

He has indeed seriously injured his tail. He also shows some weird coloring on the first pic. I'm guessing a big burn. You should go see a vet.

His tail usually stays curled up some way or form, it goes green but hell change it brown. Its usually either his Tail and Head he changes brown or His whole body with brown with sploches of green showing. Im in Orlando florida, I know they should have been in seperate cages ages ago but i kept reading and hearing conflicting information. You can house them together when they are hatchings/babies for time being and that you cant... so i worked on just getting my cage unit asap. The area i do think you guys have of concern is the Dot that they used to judge Males VS Females. I looked at it more closer and the dot still hasn't Shed Off but it had my Female.

I guess the pic of the Habitat didnt load but heres some new shots of the Female and Male

Female
DSCN0813.jpg

Male
DSCN0808.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0807.jpg

I hope these are better I apologize about the size being so big. And i appreciate the Input.

Glitch

I just raised a clutch of veiled babies and if you'll read my blog linked above it will give you allot of good info.

You are very lucky to live in Orlando the home of the world famous Dr. Alfonso chameleon vet. I would call Monday and make an appt. At the base of his tail it looks like it’s about to rot off. Also he could have other problems to keep him from growing besides being housed with the female. Take a fresh poop from both so he can do fecals. He's very reasonably priced because of his love for the chameleon. I drive over two hours to see him. He's close to Universal. Here's his website: www.kirkmanareavet.com

I just raised a clutch of veiled babies and if you'll read my blog linked above it will give you allot of good info.

You are very lucky to live in Orlando the home of the world famous Dr. Alfonso chameleon vet. I would call Monday and make an appt. At the base of his tail it looks like it’s about to rot off. Also he could have other problems to keep him from growing besides being housed with the female. Take a fresh poop from both so he can do fecals. He's very reasonably priced because of his love for the chameleon. I drive over two hours to see him. He's close to Universal. Here's his website: www.kirkmanareavet.com

Welcome to the forum :)

This is good advice. Jannb's blog is very good and Dr Alfonso is a highly recommended vet.

Can you please clarify how often you are feeding? In your first post you said twice a week....is this correct?

Thank you for the welcome, I dont really know wear an intro thread is other wise i would have introd myself to lol. I do thank you to for the Vet Recommendation Ill check him out, Thats only about 20mins is up the road from me.

yes I am feeding twice weekly anywhere between a dozen to 2 dozen small crickets. Occasionally a Large will sneak its way in but usually they manage on them. I try to grab them out before they make their way into the habitat. They are dusted with Calcium dust every time almost coated white.

I did look at the base of his tail when i took him out for the pics but to me it looks like its just a piece of shedding, But i did notice the browning on the bottom of the tail. I dont know if thats from poop staining or not though.

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0814.jpg

His tail looks bad. They each should be eating 12 feeders every day You need to dust with Calcium without D3 at just about every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and a multi vitamin twice a month.

Holy!

His tail looks bad. They each should be eating 12 feeders every day You need to dust with Calcium without D3 at just about every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and a multi vitamin twice a month.

I agree with Jann, please follow her advise and get the guy into a Vet the tail really looks horrible and "there is no way it is "Poop" staining through" that is impossible. It looks like the tissue is dying off for some reason a trip to the Herp Vet asap otherwise I'd think it will end up falling off!

Also as Jann mentioned at thier age they should be eating 12 crickets a day what they are getting now is no where near what they should be consuming... and dusting with supplements more than 1 is very important too.

Good luck with him and welcome but please follow the advise of those who have lots of experience on here and get that guy in for a look!

Now why without the D3 for that length of time? Ive always herd about the MBD with them and always thought that Vit D was good for them? or is it just to keep them from getting Od'd on it?

Now why without the D3 for that length of time? Ive always herd about the MBD with them and always thought that Vit D was good for them? or is it just to keep them from getting Od'd on it?

Excessive vitamin D3 supplementation can result in organ toxicity (gular edema) metastatic calcification and gout. That's why you only use it twice a month. The UVB light and the plain calcium should prevent MBD.

D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. d3 from the UVB or sunlight allows the chameleon to produce its own D3 and as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB/sunlight it shouldn't build up in the system.

I'm sorry but he looks bad. They are skinny and his tail does look like it is going to rot off. He needs to go to a vet ASAP and you need to start feeding them everyday with the schedule that Jann posted and following the guidelines for them. You need a linear tube reptisun 5.0 bulb along with a heat bulb which can be just a regular household bulb. For babies no hotter than 80 at basking spot with a temperature gradient that gets cooler at the bottom of the cage so they can cool down. Please post your setup using the how to ask for help form:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I'm sorry but he looks bad. They are skinny and his tail does look like it is going to rot off. He needs to go to a vet ASAP and you need to start feeding them everyday with the schedule that Jann posted and following the guidelines for them. You need a linear tube reptisun 5.0 bulb along with a heat bulb which can be just a regular household bulb. For babies no hotter than 80 at basking spot with a temperature gradient that gets cooler at the bottom of the cage so they can cool down. Please post your setup using the how to ask for help form:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, Veild chameleon 3 months in my care no longer than 4 months old.
Handling - 1 time a day if that.
Feeding - Reptolife Plus calcium/vitamin suppliment 2-3x a week 1-2 doz.
Supplements - see above
Watering - see drinking, mist from water bottle.
Fecal Description - we havnt tested. no diarhea solid clumps when he goes
History - is housed with a female atm till monday.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16" x 16" x 30" Reptibreeze mesh cage by zoo med
Lighting - 6am to 6am- 60watt zoomed blue UV/Ab blue bulb and Exo Terra Day glo 60watt. switching to the bulbs recomended monday when I get paid.
Temperature -digital thermometer, does not drop below 70 atm gets no higher than 85* in the hottest area
Humidity - digital hydrometer 50-60%
Plants - fake
Placement - 3 feet sitting on a desk? not really a high traffic area its next to my computer but im afk most of the time at work. Im the only person taht comes in my room.
Location - Florida orlando

Current Problem - see original post?

I think i already answered most of these questions... I know im new to the forums but if you would go back and read my original few posts you would see that... Less i missed something or mis understood something?
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Little update- I woke up this morning and he seemed a lil bit better after a small bath of warm water i gave him last night. His tail was curling so i know their is no loss yet that i know of, and this morning i put some luke warm water soaked, paper towels in a plastic container and let him hang out their for about 10-20 mins. The remaining shedding on his forehead has come off, but the blue dot is still their and it looks like 90% possibly all of the shedding under it has been removed. Colors are coming back but i will still keep an eye on him, and continue misting the amount you guys recommended and pickup the lights tomorrow. The browning is still their but it looks more of a Tan today. Hes also alot more active (but still a lil slow walking). I will still be following through with a vet check to be on the safe side. I thank you guys for the help and will keep you posted and hope to get to your guy's (and gals) caliber of knowledge

Glitch

Little update- I woke up this morning and he seemed a lil bit better after a small bath of warm water i gave him last night. His tail was curling so i know their is no loss yet that i know of, and this morning i put some luke warm water soaked, paper towels in a plastic container and let him hang out their for about 10-20 mins. The remaining shedding on his forehead has come off, but the blue dot is still their and it looks like 90% possibly all of the shedding under it has been removed. Colors are coming back but i will still keep an eye on him, and continue misting the amount you guys recommended and pickup the lights tomorrow. The browning is still their but it looks more of a Tan today. Hes also alot more active (but still a lil slow walking). I will still be following through with a vet check to be on the safe side. I thank you guys for the help and will keep you posted and hope to get to your guy's (and gals) caliber of knowledge

Glitch

I would still highly recommend that you get this guy to the vets.

Glitch

please read my post :/

I think i already answered most of these questions... I know im new to the forums but if you would go back and read my original few posts you would see that... Less i missed something or mis understood something?
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

It is easier for us to help if it is all in one place in an easy to read list. Then we can focus on what to look for. Please fill it out so we can help you and your chams.

Back
Top Bottom