HELP! I lost my panther Chameleon

On the tree he was really camouflage on that tree.
See? Its harder than you'd ever think to find one even close to the spot you last saw it. One big reason such defenseless animals survive is their ability to hide in plain sight...even with bright coloration they can just disappear. They can also sit amazingly still. They don't count on their color matching a background, but the patchy colors break up their silhouette so they are really hard to pick out of a background. Also, consider that most animals (including humans) that hunt are unconsciously searching for the eye shine and eye movements of their targets. Cham eyes are almost entirely covered by the lids. The disruptive color, shape, behavior, and tiny eyes not only help hide them from a predator's view, but hide the cham while it hunts its own prey.

ARE YOU GUYS JOKING! Who in there right mind put their chameleon outside not in a cage and expects him to be there
when you get back. Come on please tell me you are just kidding.

Raccoons eat almost anything! They do a number on my hummingbird feeders when they want a sweet drink :confused:. they eat amphibians, fish, vegetables, you name it!
I had a friend that free ranged their ducks and chickens, a raccoon got a duck and I guess raccoons only eat the head and leave the body..

If I don't find him I'm probably gonna cry in my sleep. Or just play video games.

If your next Prestige on Call of Duty is ever more important than finding a lost (and possibly in-danger) chameleon, then you may want to reconsider the chameleon and get a hamster instead...... just sayin....

Unless the video game that you were gonna go play is that new Pokémon GO..... in which case, you should be a master at finding wandering creatures if you play that. :p:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Unfortunately this may be a hard lesson learned. I still don't get why people leave them outside unprotected

Thankfully this wasn't a HARD lesson learned, but HOPEFULLY, a lesson learned nonetheless. With all the stories of people losing chameleons on this site, it blows my mind that ANYONE would EVER still walk away from one that is unsupervised and can escape. They are animals and are not meant to be confined to a cage, just like any animal. So given the chance to explore, you can bet your bottom dollar they are going to do so. So never ever ever EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave them outside unattended. Quite frankly, I wouldn't ever leave them unattended inside either if there is ANY chance that they could somehow escape. Saves a lot of heartache and headaches in the end if you can keep track of them.

GUYS GIYS I FOUND HIM I FOUND HIM ON A TREE OMG OMG

And to think you wanted to give up a million times and go play video games..... :cautious: Never let that happen again. Indeed it will if the chameleon knows it can escape again, so make sure you keep better eye on it next time (y)

Congrats on finding it though and not losing hope!

I decided to put him outside because today was hot and he was shedding. Every once a of a while I check on him but he DISSAPEARED! A lot of skin was in the area where I put him
But no trail? Of skin. Did he get eatened? Because he never goes outside the yard. I did a full search but nothing :( :( :(. Can you give me any tips?

What do you mean, a lot of skin? Do you mean shed skin?

All kinds of thing could have happened to him. Did you have him on a tree/bush? What kind/size of chameleon?

A predator could have taken him. That could be a dog, cat, crow, raven, hawk, etc., etc.

Describe where he was and the layout of your yard in detail. Look for him at night with a flashlight as they often turn a light color at night and it gets picked up by the flashlight.

Sad lesson to learn--never leave your chameleon outside unattended unless securely cages. Very sorry and I hope you find him.

What do you mean, a lot of skin? Do you mean shed skin?

All kinds of thing could have happened to him. Did you have him on a tree/bush? What kind/size of chameleon?

A predator could have taken him. That could be a dog, cat, crow, raven, hawk, etc., etc.

Describe where he was and the layout of your yard in detail. Look for him at night with a flashlight as they often turn a light color at night and it gets picked up by the flashlight.

Sad lesson to learn--never leave your chameleon outside unattended unless securely cages. Very sorry and I hope you find him.
He has found the cham on page 5 ;)

Lucky him, that could have ended way worse... I bet he learned his lesson (the owner, not the cham).

Back
Top Bottom