Heating a large enclosure?

SeanCJ

Established Member
I'm in the process of building a large enclosure for some montane species.
Enclosure will be 4'x4'x6' tall, made from acylic and screen for proper balance of high humidity and ventilation.
I'm debating on how best to heat this large enclosure.
Ambient room temperature during the winter months in the room where this enclosure will be located can get as low as 55 degrees at night. Typically 65 during the day.
I need to keep daytime temps around 75 to 80 and night temps can go as low as 60 to 65 or so.
I'm considering a 12"x42" radiant heat panel attached to the ceiling of the enclosure, hooked up to a Helix thermostat that will control both daytime and highs and allow for nightime temp drop as well.
Any other thoughts?

Well, what species are you setting this up for? My personal opinion is that if you're housing montanes, winter temps dropping to 55F at night and 65F during the day is perfect. As long as you provide a basking spot during the day, they can elevate their body temperatures well above 65F and the temp drop at night is good for them. Ch. jacksonii have been known to feed at body temperatures of 50F, Ch. hoehnelii have been known to feed at body temps of 45F and Bradypodion pumilum (not exactly montane, I know) is known to feed at body temps of about 38F. It gets cold overnight where a lot of montane species live (some species live in areas that get below freezing at night) and they do fine with it. Some have argued that these temp drops are important to their overall health and particularly for seasonal cycling for breeding.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom