hatching BBF larvae

ir0k

hey eveyone i puchased some blue bottle fly larvae the other day and my question is how do i hatch them? i have about 20 in deli cups with moist soiland. they have. seemed to cacoon already. im i doing it right? any help is appreciated

Don't refrigerate them, and they will hatch themselves. I like to put a cup in the cage with 10-20 pupae in it and just let them hatch naturally. Chameleon raisins.

You can keep unhatched pupae in the fridge for a little while - more than about a week and the hatch rate drops precipitously. I am getting about 15% hatch rate on my 2 week old pupae whereas it was 99% when they were fresh.

hey eveyone i puchased some blue bottle fly larvae the other day and my question is how do i hatch them? i have about 20 in deli cups with moist soiland. they have. seemed to cacoon already. im i doing it right? any help is appreciated

I can send you (and others) a care sheet if you email me at [email protected]:D

Nick

So is this a feeder that you don't gutload or dust with calcium. Just throw the cup in the cage, they hatch, they get eaten. Would you continue to feed other stuff while they are hatching and flying out of the cup?

I use them more for variety and enrichment. It gives my cham something to get excited about and chase. I'm not sure there is much nutrition in a fly - I don't gut load or dust them and continue to feed other feeders normally. The BBFs are more like a treat.

Back
Top Bottom