Had a lot of crickets die rapidly

Jsiddens

I've been doing pretty good with my home cricket breeding operation but when I got home this morning I noticed alot of deaths in my adult breeder box. I recently ordered egg cartons online from a cricket seller. Im hoping that this didnt have the cricket virus on it or something like that. Ive used the egg crate in my other tubs and have had no problems yet. Does anyone know if this virus is age discriminate? Seems to be just my adults right now if i even have it. If I do have it is a bleach water solution or vinegar going to get rid of it? I'd like to keep my bugs going there on there 7th generation so far and I think thats neat.

Use the bleach solution. It should kill whatever is there if anything. Maybe make the solution double strength just to make sure. A good rinse and the containers outside for awhile and you should be good.

Carl

Thanks Carl. Im gonna go ahead and let them finish laying there eggs in there dirt tray and feed em off and let em die. Hopefully they will die off before the baby crix start hatching. Then bleach it out and throw away the egg crate. Hopefully it's just a fluke. Maybe it was just there time , Maybe it got too hot for them. YAY bleach.

Just hope that whatever the problem is also isn't present in the laying media.
Good luck! Bleach is the best!

Carl

Whats your setup for breeding crickets... I tried a few times but didn't have any luck.. Kind of hard keeping a warm temp and having the soil moist.

I have tons of egg cartons here! I think the 10 eggs by 10 eggs carton.
Try asking your produce market store if they have any, usually they would be happy that your helping them recycle them :p

Awesome. I will do that. Ive seen lots of people do it different ways. I do it in three 40 gal rubbermaid totes. I cut the middle of the lid out and screened it and caulked around the edges of the screen. Then I went to the bait store and bought 2 dozen crickets. I put them in there with there food and water and a tray full of moistened dirt. The females swarm the dirt and lay eggs in it. Adults normally dont live real long so i leave it in the tote till they die.If you see pinheads go ahead and take it out because the adults will eat them. Since I have 3 totes I put the egg tray in a new setup and as long as it 70-80 degrees and you lightly moisten the soil. I just use a hand mister. You will have hoards of them in as little as ten days depending on heat. I leave it in there till they start venturing off the tray and onto the crate. You could do it really with one but I like having more than enough and its no fun to feed them off to your pets before they were old enough to breed. As for maintain temps I use a 40 w light bulb in the winter. The warmer you get them the faster they breed but the shorter they live. Here is one my fave links on breeding crickets :
http://www.anapsid.org/crickets.html

good post.. i just started my dubia colony... 50 female/15 male adults and 100nymphs... trying to get ready for my baby nosy be soon, cant wait!#%@ lol

my 1st batch of crickets & supers were supposed to arrive on Friday, but Canada Post lost them! Something tells me that i will need a 2nd shipment:(

Does anyone know if this virus is age discriminate?

Yes. Supposedly the virus must be contracted by the crickets when they are under 2 weeks old and it kills them just before they reach adult/egg-laying size. Apparently if they contract the virus at 5 weeks or older they are able to mate and produce eggs.

Ok thanks, I think I will try again soon.

Seems like a good idea!

I was using delicups with soil, will try something more larger this time!!!

Back
Top Bottom