grape vines

mjhough

Hey everyone im new to the site just got a juvenile veiled. The person I got him from had him in a glass tank with screen top. I built an all screen sided cage he is currently in now. I have some questions concerning grape vines.. I have some in my yard was wondering how I should go about cutting them I know I need to bake or boil them. Just need some advice on cutting and what vines I should go for? Some look woody and others look fresh.

Also an unrelated vine question... zeb original tank was fairly small I'd say about 16-18" tall. He's seems pretty small I was told he's about 4-5 months old I've ready they reach adult maturity around 6-8 months? Will my bigger enclosure help with the growth? He also seemed skinny I've been feeding around 15 crix a day. Should I increase this? I've been looking for some silk/Goliath worms but have no luck. I have rep-cal calcium with vit.D and reptivite reptile vitamins. Haven't giving the reprove yet as I've read they don't need vitamins till full grown. My concern is the vitamin D in the rep-cal. Should I get another without?

Other then that he seems to be fine kind of an angry guy but I think it's cause the change of environment when I bought him he was all about being held..

My chameleon knowledge is still not up to scratch so I don't feel able to answer the second part.

However plants are my forte. With regards to thickness I'd avoid the new growth, my 3 month old panther can bend growing stems on schefflera so unless you want to plait the new growth before baking I'd avoid it. The older growth really needs to be dormant before cutting, ie winter, however if you a) aren't worried about the plant that much b) willing to use something like arbrex or seal and heal you can do it anytime using a sharP loppers/saw depending on stem size.

Leave them a few days for any fresh sap to solidify before using though then bake/boil

Yes grape vines are fine I have them in every one of my enclosures. Its best to let them dry out (cure)then peal the bark off and santize them with a purex/water solution Two Table spoons per galon of water let them let them dry for 24 hrs to let any left behind purex to disipate Then give them a rinse with clean water prior to placing them in your enclosures.

Okay ill go for the bigger ones and winterize them till my little guy is big enough. Im not in a rush he currently has a weeping fig,pohtos and a hibiscus for outside play. I have a fake vine in the cage now is just one okay with the plants or should I add more sticks/vines?

Thanks for the advice! Ill see what I can get to its a pretty big grape vine so I should make out like a bandit.

Welcome to the forum!!! Just wanted to add that your supplement schedule should be calcium with NO D3 everyday, calcium with D3 twice a month, and multivitamin twice a month. Another option is Repashy Calcium Plus which is a all in one product that is balanced for everyday use. There are a number of health problems that can result from getting either too much or too little supplements, so it is important to make sure you've got it right :)

I've heard mixed reviews with repashy, it's like marmite people either love it or hate it, I was contemPlating using it as I agree with the fact they get a small amount of vits throughout the month instead of a large amount twice, has anyone had any issues using it daily?

i plan on getting a different cal tomorrow and get him on a good schedule I'm not sure if his old owner used any he looked to be in a bad situation I'm trying to get some pictures of him and his new setup.. any advice on water drainage its a bare bottom now with a weather proof paint. was thinking about using puppy pee pads the water seems to only drip on one side of the cage.

Super absorbent kitchen paper used here changed daily, puppy pads aren't cheap if I remember from my jack Russell days, some people use reticle carpet or old towels again changed daily and chucked in a washing machine between uses

the towels dont seem like a bad idea i can get alot from work so i think ill go with that. thank you

pictures of zeb and cage

Attachments

• IMG_20120811_173330.jpg
    IMG_20120811_173330.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20120812_120221.jpg
    IMG_20120812_120221.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20120811_180936.jpg
    IMG_20120811_180936.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 92
i was just going to get a calcium supplement anyways.. ive been gutloading all my feeders.. any advice on feeding wild caught insects? i live near alot of trails im sure i can find some this a good or bad idea?

Ah Sandra, I wondered when you'd be on, so repashy isn't necessary as long as you gut load? But you still need the multivitamin/ d3 fortnightly routine?

Ah Sandra, I wondered when you'd be on, so repashy isn't necessary as long as you gut load? But you still need the multivitamin/ d3 fortnightly routine?

No matter how well you gutload, chances are your going to need a calcium supplement at least, because of the nature of many of the commonly used prey/feeder options.

How often you may need to add vitamins (D3 included) will depend on many factors.
There's nothing wrong with using the Repashy Calcium plus product, I just dont think its needed daily, if you're paying attention to the basics (UVB lighting, gutloading, prey variety)

more info:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/174-whats-supplements-brand.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

Back
Top Bottom