Going to the ground???

pwbedford

In the the last two days, this is third time we found our chameleon on the ground, she is getting bigger and is eating and moving around and looks great, but we are wondering if maybe the plants arent holding her up like they used to? is there any other reason she would be on the ground of her cage? She is about two months old and the cage is always right around 80 degrees so I dont think it is the heat?

Attachments

• 10142010 007.jpg
    10142010 007.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 152
She is cutie.

If you fill out the form may be members can help you figure out whats going on with her.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

What do you have in the bottom of the cage for substrate? You need to be careful of what you line the bottom with due to the fact your chameleon can accidently injest small pieces of bark, pebbles etc while shooting for prey which can lead to serious problems where they cannot go to the bathroom. It would be wise to clean out the bottom and just leave it bare. It is much safer that way!

I use repti bark for the substrate. She dosent eat near the ground. Her food is in a food dish up twards the top of the cage. But I will try that.

I think that's the crap that the pet store originally gave me when i first got my chameleon... i'd suggest getting rid of it. The crickets love to hide in it, frustrating at feeding time not knowing if your cham ate everything or they're all hiding in the substrate.

Even if she doesnt eat near the ground veiled chameleons have been known to eat plants in the cage. why take a chance? Plus it is far more sanitary to be able to just wipe out the bottom when it is empty. With the mistings and water drippings the bark will get wet and can mold and breed bacteria. Hey, it is up to you, on how you want to set up your cage. Just trying to give suggestions so you have a happy and healthy chameleon!

Screen would be okay as long as there's something under it to catch the water. If you feel the need of a floor, then a piece of coroplast (that plastic board that looks like corrugated cardboard) would be good. If the weight isn't a problem, tile is good.

If you really feel like you need something to absorb water and catch debris, then just newspaper or paper towels is sufficient. The less the better in this case.

I will say that if she's just going to the bottom and then climbing right back up, it's probably not an issue. They like to explore.

If she's actually spending time on the floor, it's more of a concern. Sometimes it's hard to tell how long they are intending to be on the floor because when they realize you're there, they may freeze and wait for you to leave.

Maybe next time she's on the floor, walk out of the room for a few minutes. If she's still on the floor when you come back there might be something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom