Giant day geckos fighting

Duma

last night was a disaster. I've had a male and female in their own separate cages since I've gotten them. They're unrelated and came from different sides of the country. I got my brand new cage big enough for both of them yesterday. So I set it up, put the female in and then the male. The female kept going after the male. She wasn't biting him, just running after him. I watched them for hours. He would just hide and she would chase and lunge at him. For no reason. I heard it could take up to a week for them to get along so I figured I would give it 24 hours and see. After a couple hours I thought we were making progress. She bobbed her head a couple times and wasn't chasing him. I left them alone for 30 minutes and I came back to him in a ball on the bottom corner with half his tail missing and skin missing on his hip. I removed her immediately and put her back in her old terrarium and let him keep the big one. What did I do wrong? Once they were together I noticed she is a bit bigger than he is. Is that the problem?

Back
Top Bottom