FREE ENCLOSURES AROUND PHILADELPHIA

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
My local Petsmart in Broomall, PA just replaced their entire reptile section of the store. Here’s a pic of the new enclosures. All of the old glass enclosures with screen tops are in an easily accessible dumpster next to the store. There has to be 20 which may be good for frogs or baby chams.

Attachments

• IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 11
I am glad they made those upgrades but I still feel they could do better. :( I just reported to my local petsmart to headquarters for their inadequate conditions. They had a veiled in the middle section center glass of that exact enclosure setup you just posted from your petsmart. The one to the left of the reserved sign. I was sick, I almost bought the cham but stopped in realizing they will just put another in. It looked healthy but it was already way too big for the enclosure it was in. It’s heartbreaking they get away with this. But I am glad they are improving their setups.
I recommended they open a chameleon kit that they sell right in the store for “advertising purposes” just to get that poor thing out of that shoebox. But they probably won’t listen.

Sorry for the rant lol it’s still fresh it just happened yesterday 😂

The sign below the female veiled chameleon’s enclosure said, “omnivore” and they had a dish of cut up veggies on the floor, next to a bowl of water which had a poop in it.

Strangely even the San Diego zoo calls them omnivores.

https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/chameleon#:~:text=Veiled chameleons are omnivores, eating,to 9 months to hatch.

I’ve heard this from vets and don’t necessarily disagree. I think they are 99% insectivores, but some do intentionally eat foliage and flowers for unknown reasons. So those that intentionally do, even if infrequently, would technically fall under the omnivore definition.

It’s unfortunate the enclosures were just chucked, esp since they often partner with the ASPCA and similar rescues around here (I’m in Balto.). I bet insurance has a lot to do with it.

I’ve heard this from vets and don’t necessarily disagree. I think they are 99% insectivores, but some do intentionally eat foliage and flowers for unknown reasons. So those that intentionally do, even if infrequently, would technically fall under the omnivore definition.

It’s unfortunate the enclosures were just chucked, esp since they often partner with the ASPCA and similar rescues around here (I’m in Balto.). I bet insurance has a lot to do with it.
Right but that’s so misleading. The enclosure has a mix of diced vegetables in a bowl. Whoever takes this cham home will likely replicate that. I’m going to talk to the manager tomorrow. There’s no reason to complain and groan on the forums unless I’ve made an effort to have them correct the husbandry. If they don’t, the complaint gets escalated to corporate and then I earn a right to complain and raise awareness in the forums. They just don’t know.

Right but that’s so misleading. The enclosure has a mix of diced vegetables in a bowl. Whoever takes this cham home will likely replicate that. I’m going to talk to the manager tomorrow. There’s no reason to complain and groan on the forums unless I’ve made an effort to have them correct the husbandry. If they don’t, the complaint gets escalated to corporate and then I earn a right to complain and raise awareness in the forums. They just don’t know.

Agreed. It seems like it would not take much effort for petstores to update their signs and literature to put the animal’s best interests at heart. They’re in the business of selling those supportive items, so it seems like a win win?!

I’ve seen this at other petsmarts and talked to the animal care people there - they say it’s required by corporate and they get in trouble if they don’t include it.

Back
Top Bottom