Fogger or Mister?

stealth80

Hi ive just acquired 2x Panther Chams and am looking at methods to increase the humidity. Its a Repti-breeze enclosure 18" x 18" x 36". I only set it up last night, using bark substrate in the bottom with 2x live plants (Devils Ivy and another (forget its name but its from the safe list)). The humidity is around average 58% with peaks at 64%. I was thinking of adding a Fogger or Mister, but aren't sure if any/which would be suitable for a Repti-Breeze enclosure and was hoping for some guidance

Thanks

Foggers are good for visual effect but generally don't help much with humidity. You want a mister.

I would get the mist king starter set and the corner screen wedge I ordered all that for around 100 from LLL reptile.

I read a substrate shouldn't be used due to impacting, however the bark pieces are too big for them to eat. If it is the case it shouldn't be used I'll take it out

I would get rid of the substrate and use a mister. Fogger's are not so good with chameleons in general.

Definitely get the mister. I had a fogger for about two days and it did absolutely nothing to help with humidity and my cham was terrified of it. I got my money back and bought a mister instead and it's been great.

I might be misreading your post, but you sound like you only have one cage for two panthers. If that's the case, I would suggest getting a second cage ASAP. Chameleons usually don't do well when housed together, and the stress can kill one or both of them. The more dominant cham will feel like he has to constantly defend his territory, and the less dominant one will have no where to get away.

Get a mister, and a dripper. You won't ever have to spray again. Your chameleon will be enticed to drink when the mister goes off. And he will always know where to go to find a drink from the dripper. Set the dripper over your live plants so that it runs down as many leaves as possible. My little panther has already established his basking spot, sleeping spot, eating spot, and drinking spot. These guys love routine.

I might be misreading your post, but you sound like you only have one cage for two panthers. If that's the case, I would suggest getting a second cage ASAP. Chameleons usually don't do well when housed together, and the stress can kill one or both of them. The more dominant cham will feel like he has to constantly defend his territory, and the less dominant one will have no where to get away.

I hope not, I asked this question today to the breeder (after seeing hit and miss info on the net) and he said it be fine as one is defo a female (aka there won't be 2 males)

Ill look into a mister, they seem quite rare in the UK (MistKing does appear to be rare anyway)

I would not house two panther chameleons together, even if one is a female. Not a good idea for long term health. They just aren't community/pack animals. Even in the wild, they get together to breed and then go their separate ways.

Hi and thanks. I tried both chams on the basking branch this morning and they weren't happy so I contacted the seller and he was happy for us to return one. We have just got home having the returned the baby and added some more vines and leaves to the viv and she is looking happier already

I don't have a female so I can't tell you much about it but...
It sound as if you are very new to chameleons so I just wanted to mention females need to have a laying bin for eggs. I hope someone else better versed on caring for females will chime in.

Also the substrate is a no no for more than just a fear of getting impacted. With all the misting, substrate is a breeding ground for bacteria. Most of us keep the floor completely empty. Much easier to clean up.

Foggers are good for visual effect but generally don't help much with humidity. You want a mister.

Well, I've found that they do help in the right setups. That being said, by "fogger" I mean an ultrasonic room humidifier, not the little terrarium foggers in a tiny reservoir. I've used foggers in combination with hand misting in very dry situations, but I also modified the cage to hold humidity longer too. How effective any fogger is will depends on the enclosure design and the climate in the room. They can help maintain a higher relative humidity level or increase the amount of time a cage stays more humid if they are cycled to fog briefly between misting sessions, and won't produce so much water that the cage is hard to keep drained.

I read a substrate shouldn't be used due to impacting, however the bark pieces are too big for them to eat. If it is the case it shouldn't be used I'll take it out

The other issue with some substrates is a build up of bacteria and mold over time. If your feeders are free ranged they can hide in the bark and pick up all sorts of grunge (cham fecal matter, old shed skin, etc). Some people use substrates successfully but they are not care free.

I would get rid of the substrate and use a mister. Fogger's are not so good with chameleons in general.

YMMV...I've used foggers in quite a few cham setups without major issues. But, the design of the enclosure and how the fogger is modified are important. I consider foggers a handy tool and use them when the local situation calls for it.

Seems we're starting to have issues with the humidity. It was ok at first ranging from 55 to 65%.

Now its dropping to like 42% and only hitting around 52% when we mist. We're now misting like 4 - 5 times a day to try and keep the humidity up.

I like the look of the Mist King, however I do have a concern. We are using a Reptibreeze enclosure and i'm thinking that the water will end up every where?

Seems we're starting to have issues with the humidity. It was ok at first ranging from 55 to 65%.

Now its dropping to like 42% and only hitting around 52% when we mist. We're now misting like 4 - 5 times a day to try and keep the humidity up.

I like the look of the Mist King, however I do have a concern. We are using a Reptibreeze enclosure and i'm thinking that the water will end up every where?

I think they offer nozzles with a narrower spray pattern. I have an old RainMaker Jr. misting system and know there are different spray patterns for theirs. You can also put a piece of clear plastic sheeting on either the cage, a wall, or furniture you want to protect. I set my cage stands on office workspace carpet protectors to protect carpet.

BTW, here is an example when a fogger can help keep the humidity from crashing too low too quickly. It can fill in the gaps so you don't have to spray as often (and deal with more water).

Booyaakaasha @stealth

you can get monsoon rs in the UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Monsoon-Rainfall-System/dp/B004G62868

I just got it -- you can get it in the UK as well.

Don't get a fogger, its a waste. also if you have a screen cage, you want real plants and vines with greens on them-- you can use clear platic to cover the bottom and other parts-- i think covering it with shower curtains look ugly.

One tough thing about screen cage is holding humidity-- but there are ways.

You can keep Chameleons together if they are brothers and sisters-- they can all be together living well but after 5 months you will need to separate them because they will get territorial on eachother and it can be fatal.

if they are adults and you got them separately you need to immediately separately them and put a visual block in between them, even that will stress them out.

Back
Top Bottom