Flying food

Kitdragon2000

Hey guys,

So i am finding baby girl likes her worms, but also anything she can snag that flies. she'll eat crickets, but not as happily as when i can grab a moth as a treat for her.

So my question is, is there anything commercially bred that can be fed that flies? Iv had some of the silkworm's hatch into the moths, so she's had those. but they are so small!

Blue bottle flie larvae can be bought and just let them go through metamorphosis and you're good to go. Also grasshoppers are great

I got blue bottle flies spikes and they pupae on the way in the mail. Then you just keep them in the fridge and pull out 15 or so every couple of days. They hatch in about 48hrs and I gut load for 24hr then let the frenzy start.

You can also order butterflies from some places. Or feed off the moths of hornworms if she can handle the size...

I would personally try Green Banana Roaches, they can be breed at home and they are brightly colored green to catch the attention and they fly, they "come in two sizes" the "normal" green banana roaches and the Giant. I swear I just saw some for sale some where around here.

im still trying to convince my family to let me breed / feed roaches.... >.<
Guess my dad grew up in a home with roaches.... *sigh*

i know the struggle of roaches, none of my roommates will be okay with breeding anything so I have some goliath hornworms ima have to kill because they got too big >.< and idk if they would make it in the mail to someone else. If I knew they would make the trip id mail them out and let you have them turn into months for your girl but i doubt they would make another few days shipping with the amount of food left (which is like none)

im still trying to convince my family to let me breed / feed roaches.... >.<
Guess my dad grew up in a home with roaches.... *sigh*

4 options:

1. The Green Banana roach as stated earlier is the meatiest feeder of the 3, and will give you a constant source of food. I can send you a care sheet, email me at [email protected]. In the care sheet I explain that due to the tropical temperatures they require, the escapees die in a few days at room temperature. Perhaps your dad could be convinced….a short description of the GBR is in my classified ad here "10 Feeders to keep your chameleon happy." If you had a garage/shed area you could use, build an insulated box to keep them warm in, and the idea might "fly" for your dad.:D

2. Blue Bottle Flies are another option, you can purchase the spikes (aka maggots at Mantidpets.com), or a fishing tackle store sometimes sells them as bait. They are twice the size of a house fly and available all year. Email me for a care sheet.

3. Wax Worm moths can be raised from a culture, also on my ad, are a bit longer than Blue Bottles, but not as much meat for the bite.

4. Painted Lady butterflies can be purchased at the baby caterpillar stage with food. Fairly expensive option.

CHEERS!

Nick

I know that all of my chams LOVE the blue bottle flies. They are smaller than crickets, but they enjoy hunting them down. My male panther will happily eat 50-60 a day. I order 1000 pupae from mantisplace.com every couple of months and feed the flies to my chams until they are gone. They are more of a treat for me, but a great one.

Hi! I'm new here and plan to introduce myself shortly but wanted to chime in here. I'm not sure if you feed the calci worms/repti worms/black soldier fly larvae, but my girl snaps the flies up after they've turned. They don't bite, sting, or eat, but only live for a couple days. Not sure of nutrition after they've turned, but as worms, they're a great feeder choice. It may be worth researching or maybe someone here could give us more info. I couldn't find any negative effects feeding them on my search. :D My girl is still hunting!

Hi! I'm new here and plan to introduce myself shortly but wanted to chime in here. I'm not sure if you feed the calci worms/repti worms/black soldier fly larvae, but my girl snaps the flies up after they've turned. They don't bite, sting, or eat, but only live for a couple days. Not sure of nutrition after they've turned, but as worms, they're a great feeder choice. It may be worth researching or maybe someone here could give us more info. I couldn't find any negative effects feeding them on my search. :D My girl is still hunting!

Black soldier fly larvae are one of the most nutritious feeders available. My problem has been getting my chams to eat them. Unfortunately they simply are not active enough to get the interest of my chams.

Also, the black soldier flies are quite small. While they would be great for young chams, they are not the best choice for adult chams. Blue Bottle Flies are MUCH larger and make a better choice for adult chams.

Back
Top Bottom