Fish tank water heater?

JohnDoe

Established Member
Can you put a fish tank water heater in the buck for your mist kking? WIll it melt the bucket?

Please let me know

No it wont at all ive done it.. plus think, usually most tank heaters have rubber suction cups. They dont melt so why would hard grade plastic.

I have heard where several here do just that, plus they work fine with plexiglass aquariums. As a precaution I would make sure it isn't touching the actual plastic...

I bought mine at petco for $28.00 it's for a 5-10 gallon and came with a lifetime warranty,comes with plastic suction cups that clip to heater and then stick on bottom of 5 gal bucket. You need the submersible type and I have mine set at 84 degrees and it works perfect. If you keep the top on the bucket no light gets in and mine has never gotten slimed up

I originally bought an aquarium heater but it was a little too tall for my bucket and I read on here that I should have probably bought one that has an auto shut off feature when water isnt present. couldnt find one of those easily so I bought an under tank, stick on heater pad that I stuck to the side of my bucket. Works great and does not melt the plastic as it only heats the water about 10 degrees or so above ambient.

I am not sure that heating the water gives you warm water when it comes out the misting nozzle. I put the hottest tap water (125 degrees F) in a misting bottle, sprayed it on my hand, and it was not noticeably warmer.

If some have heaters, what is the temperature at the misting nozzles compared to the temperature in the reservoir you are heating?

I am not sure that heating the water gives you warm water when it comes out the misting nozzle. I put the hottest tap water (125 degrees F) in a misting bottle, sprayed it on my hand, and it was not noticeably warmer.

If some have heaters, what is the temperature at the misting nozzles compared to the temperature in the reservoir you are heating?

I don't get the temps I was getting when hand spraying but it is warmer than the air and will be cooler than the air in summer. Ego often stands in the mist now so my 10 degrees above ambient works for him

The water that comes out in the first 30 seconds of the misting session (or so) is usually room temperature, as the water has been sitting in the lines, and the lines themselves are cold. However, as the misting session goes on, the lines warm up and so does the mist. I have long misting sessions (11,9,6,4 minutes), so they get a good warm shower every session. It is difficult to take the temperature of moving water, but a feel test confirms what I stated above, as well as my chams' reaction to the mist.

well i was just asking because when i felt the mist come out it was super cold as in i thought it was to cold so i am not looking for super hot water just warmer then what it was

well i was just asking because when i felt the mist come out it was super cold as in i thought it was to cold so i am not looking for super hot water just warmer then what it was

Some here do not think it helps but for me it works fantastic and I am confident I have seen my chams act differently towards there misting after the change. I can even tell a difference when hand misting,if the water is not heated they run,when it is heated they will sit and soak it up so I think it helps alot. In some cases(most) you have to do what works for you and your chams. That is what makes this forum so good,you will get alot of different ideas and then you can find what works and go with it :)

I just started using one the past few weeks because the water is a lot colder in the winter.
I just set it to 85F and stick it in the water tank.
After a few hours, I see a few drops of condensation forming on the top.
After the water travels from the tank, through the pump, along the tubing, and out the nozzles, it's not much different then room temp. but at least it's not freezing cold like before, so it does some good.
Probably work better in summer!!??

P.S. keep tubing lenght as short as possible

Last edited:
I just started using one the past few weeks because the water is a lot colder in the winter.
I just set it to 85F and stick it in the water tank.
After a few hours, I see a few drops of condensation forming on the top.
After the water travels from the tank, through the pump, along the tubing, and out the nozzles, it's not much different then room temp. but at least it's not freezing cold like before, so it does some good.
Probably work better in summer!!??

P.S. keep tubing lenght as short as possible

longer mist times also help as it gets warmer

longer mist times also help as it gets warmer

I'm sure that's true, but U also go through water faster.
I am already having to take 2 gal jugs every other day to fill at my lab (we have a large distilled water station).

I also pump gallons of water every day into the air via my humidifiers.

The corners of the rooms have even turned moldy because of the high RH :eek:

Back
Top Bottom