fighting or mateing?

germanmike

well ive been noticing this lately, i have a 1 1/2 year old male veiled and a year old female..just recently he will go towards her and bump into her very hard with his nose continuously..and then sometimes try to get on top of her, she has her mouth open and turns black with yellow and green strypes..? is this normal?

It means hes trying to breed with her and she is telling him she is unreceptive. Please remove her ASAP. She is going to be undergoing alot of stress by having him chase her around the cage. Eventually she will not feed or drink and you may start seeing some major issues. I would move her to her own visually and physically seperate enclosure. Mak sure they cant see one another that can be stressing to the animals also.

It means hes trying to breed with her and she is telling him she is unreceptive. Please remove her ASAP. She is going to be undergoing alot of stress by having him chase her around the cage. Eventually she will not feed or drink and you may start seeing some major issues. I would move her to her own visually and physically seperate enclosure. Mak sure they cant see one another that can be stressing to the animals also.

He is complete correct, if you don't put them in seperate cages you will have a dead chameleon soon.

Try periodically showing her to the male. If receptive she will display some rally vibrant greens and most times display blue dots on her flanks. She WILL NOT turn black or dark colors.

If she's turned black with yellow and green spots and stripes- she's already been receptive at one point or other. They can't do that unless they have been bred at least one time. Watch out for eggs coming your way.

If she's turned black with yellow and green spots and stripes- she's already been receptive at one point or other. They can't do that unless they have been bred at least one time. Watch out for eggs coming your way.

That is absolutely untrue. They can show those unreceptive colors without ever being bred.

well she layd her first clutch about 3-4 months ago of 28 eggs wich were unfertile. then when i added the male she turned those black.yellow and green colors for a few days but they just went back to normal, they got along just until recently

When the female shows the dark background colors, hisses, sways back and forth, gapes, lunges at the male, etc. she is telling the male she is not receptive or already gravid.

If she behaves calmly, keeps her green coloration (with blue dots and mustardy colored splotches), does not hiss, does not gape and moves away from the male slowly she is receptive.

If they have been housed together for some time after reaching sexual maturity she will be producing fertile eggs. They should only have been housed together to mate once they are past 3 month of age and not left together, as was already said.

She needs a place (opaque container at least 12" x 12" x8" deep filled almost full of washed playsand) in her cage to dig in so she can show you she's ready to lay the eggs. This place to dig should be in the female's cage once she reaches sexual maturity and only removed to dig up eggs should she lay them there. I have a 65 liter bin that I move the female to once she is digging intently if I feel that she is not happy with this small container in her cage.

That is absolutely untrue. They can show those unreceptive colors without ever being bred.

huh- I've been breeding veileds since the early 90s and did not know that. Of course I've never kept one around to produce eggs without breeding it first. In 100% of the veileds I have bred, the female was never able to turn black without being bred by the male first. Virgin unreceptive coloration was very different, black with bright bars not appearing until after first breeding.

But maybe because this one has produced infertile at some point prior to this without being bred she can do the coloration- like I said, I have zero experience with that situation.

Sorry if I have misinformed.

? Yes it is. Read what Kinyonga said. ;) We all make mistakes

Flux- i agree with you. When my female was gravid and she wouldnt lay she would only turn black or dark brown with blue and yellow dots when she is gravid. When she saw a male for the first time she did nothing. Maybe because she was receptive and that is most likely the case

Veileds (and other species too) can change to unreceptive/gravid colors even when not mated....all it means is that they are not receptive and producing eggs.

Back
Top Bottom