Females and eggs

PedroANDAshley

So pepper is my first female cham and I was wondering if any one can tell me what to look for when she wants to lay eggs.
I thought they don't start untill around 9 months but obviously I just read something something that said it can be up to 4 months and pepper is 4-5 months old but shes kind small I couldn't imagine her laying eggs at this age :confused:
some tips on what to look out for would be great thanks.

This is pepper she prolly around 6-8 inches long max (from head to tail)
pepper2.jpg

Doesn't look like she has eggs but around 6 months you should put a laying bin at least 12 inches deep with either organic soil, sand, or mix. Which ever you and your chameleon chooses. They can get picky. Some signs are constantly going to the bottom of the cage, pacing the floor, and you may see egg lumps on her sides in the back around her back legs. I know i didn't get all the signs but im sure others will fill you in.

It doesnt work for panthers but since Pepper is a veiled you can somewhat control her production of eggs. I would still use a laying bin but I would also read the raising kitty blog and get ideas on how to control clutch sizes by limiting feeding and reducing basking temps. Nice looking little girl btw.

And these layting bins should I keep them there at all times?
Because she does eat substarte :/
thanks for the replies guys im on lunch break ill be sure to read
those links jann when I get back home.

Okay so I read the raising kitty blog it's great,
it mentions that its best to just use double flouresents with one retisun and one normal bulb.
Is that how most people do it?
Because as of now I have a basking light in with pepper.
Also, my question still remain must I keep a laying bin in with her at all times for the rest of her life? Or only when I see the signs.

The first sign of them becoming sexually mature is acquiring the mustardy/brownish/yellow splotches...but I have seen one or two exceptions.

The female will start to put on girth above the back legs on the body. As she approaches the "due date" she will likely pace the cage looking for a spot to lay them, drink more than usual, maybe eat less (depending on how many eggs she's carrying), etc.

You mentioned that she already eats substrate....I don't keep any substrate in the cage to make sure there is nothing that they can eat that will lead to impaction. The sand I use many of my chameleons have eaten and it has never caused an impaction in any of them. Its said that if they are eating sand or substrate they are looking for something that is missing from their diet. What supplements do you use and how often for each (please be specific)? What do you specifically gutload/feed to your insects?

I have just purchased her, Ive only have had her for a couple days now maybe 3.
So Im not sure what her diet was before.
I dust with calcium with no phosporus OR d3 about every feeding
and every two weeks calcium with d3
I also have a multi vitamin
I feed my feeders with the normal callards, potatoes, dandelion greens, ect,ect.
I know how to gutload and dust since this isnt my first cham.
Maybe she is bored with crickets but she always eats what I give her since day 1, she isnt on a strike. :eek:

your girl looks fantastic.
she does not look like she has any eggs in her.

others have given you some great advice, so I'll just sit back and wait if any questions pop up.

females are ment to drive you crazy...my panther Laurie always fools me into thinking that she is starting to get gravid with her first set of eggs.

if fed every other day and the temps are not too hot, then she will go a long time before her first clutch.

Harry

LOL!
Harry thanks :)
She just so tiny I dont want to starve her though :(
I just wanna feed her alot :D
BUT I wont, promise. I can restrain my self :)

Yeah its hard to resist feeing them. I feed every day but cut back on the amount of feeders starting at around 6 months of age. (for my panthers) Same can be done w/veileds. I start reducing from 8-10 feeders a day down to 5-6 feeders daily. I gradually reduce her weekly cutting one feeder a day until shes at an acceptable maintanence diet level. I want mine to produce clutches but just not the enormous sizes you get by gourging them.

panther man,
Im feeding her five crickets a day now, she wont eat more anyways. Im assuming shes on a hunger strike because I just got her her just about 5 days now maybe more and shes still adjusting. When she reaches 6 months (in about a month) Ill be sure to start doing what you said and try cutting down one feeder gradually until i figure out a good maintenance diet c:

and elle,
thanks alot :D

Back
Top Bottom