female veiled questions.

KylieT

Okies so if I've got this right let me know and if I'm way off fix me. With females if you strictly monitor the heat and regulate her diet, you can keep her from producing the infertile clutches??? That's what a google search has implied. If this is true, at what temps and food intake does this happen? Besides that, and the laying bin if needed. is there anything that I should know about female care? Should I supply her with extra calcium? Any input would be great :)

Thanks Jann! Your blogs are great! These are exactly what I was looking for as far as answers. I'm getting a female that's a bit older (10 mos) and need to be preped to give her the best care. :) thanks!!

Keeping femaes cooler and feeding less really does work! My first female I kept too warm and fed way too much and she laid two clutches of over 100 infertiles both times. She aid her first clutch at 14 months of age and her second 4 months later. Sadly, she died a month after that.

I took what I had learnt from Lily and applied it to Amy when I got her. She was 3 months old when I brought her home and I always kept her temps at 82 - 83 at the most and fed her less (which she naturally did from 6 months old). She laid only one infertile clutch at the age of 20 months. Sadly she passed away at the weekend at the good age of 3 years old. In comparison, my first female died at 18 months. I am now a firm believer in keeping cooler and feeding less. It means you can enjoy these special girlies for a lot longer.

There is a site out there that I can't find the link to anymore that said that a man was not using a basking light for his females? do you recommend that? I mean our place stays 75 pretty normally so I will use a light just to keep them to low cham range but if you lived in a house that the temps did stay low 80's could you really not use a basking light???

Even if you don't need a heat light, the chams all seem to do better with them. Just use a 15 or 25 watt, it will provide no heat but they will view it as the sun. i can't explain the science behind this but Chris Anderson could. If you want the science just send him a pm.

There is a site out there that I can't find the link to anymore that said that a man was not using a basking light for his females? do you recommend that? I mean our place stays 75 pretty normally so I will use a light just to keep them to low cham range but if you lived in a house that the temps did stay low 80's could you really not use a basking light???

I don't use a basking light because my house stays warm. I follow Lynda's lighting in this link. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

IMHO there is a little more to it than just keeping the feeding and temperatures lower to stop the reproduction completely. I think if things are done right (timing wise) it might be that the follicles can be prevented from ovulating...but I have no real proof of this.

Wow this is a great question I didn't realise this about a female veiled and I'm hopefully getting one in a couple of weeks, thanks for asking

Back
Top Bottom