Female Panther: Not Eating and Loosing Weight Fast

So she is maby 6 months old not 18 months? Septic is when a infection makes it to your bloodstream. When females are pregnant with infertile eggs they are more likely to clump together and get stuck in her. Even if she does have a lay bin. These eggs then start rotting and she gets infected. If not taken care of the infection spreads to the bloorstream. We call it a septic infection at that point. Lets hope she is not that far gone. You need to get her a plastic tub thst is at east 8 inches deep with play sand in it that is moist enough not to colapse on her when she digs a tunnel. Then you need her cage in a quiet place where she will be undesturbed or she will not lay her eggs anyway! Please ask if you have more questions! I don't mind answering!

So she is maby 6 months old not 18 months? Septic is when a infection makes it to your bloodstream. When females are pregnant with infertile eggs they are more likely to clump together and get stuck in her. Even if she does have a lay bin. These eggs then start rotting and she gets infected. If not taken care of the infection spreads to the bloorstream. We call it a septic infection at that point. Lets hope she is not that far gone. You need to get her a plastic tub thst is at east 8 inches deep with play sand in it that is moist enough not to colapse on her when she digs a tunnel. Then you need her cage in a quiet place where she will be undesturbed or she will not lay her eggs anyway! Please ask if you have more questions! I don't mind answering!
Well, I got her at four months in September of 2016... since Sep 2016, 14 months have passed... 14 + 4 would be 18 months, no?

So, for the bin, do I take out all of the vines from her cage and put in the bin inside and keep all of her heating? Or should I leave some vines and put in the bin? Also, sorry, what is play sand?

Thank you for your help!

Play sand is the bags of sand you get at like home depot for putting in a kids sandbox. And usually it is recommended that the lay box be put in the cage without changing the cage to much and left in the cage except to check for eggs. Try to put the lay bin in without removing the vines, and rework the vines so she has some paths to it.

Play sand is the bags of sand you get at like home depot for putting in a kids sandbox. And usually it is recommended that the lay box be put in the cage without changing the cage to much and left in the cage except to check for eggs. Try to put the lay bin in without removing the vines, and rework the vines so she has some paths to it.
Okay, got it. I'll do it as soon as I wake up in the morning. Thank you so much!

Oh, also, how often should I check? If she doesn't lay after some time what do I do? Should I put her in the bin and see what she does or wait for her to go in by herself?

Because it is suspected that she may be eggbound, it would probably be best to try and take her to a vet to get xrayed, it will help determine if in fact she does have eggs, and whether or not they are fused together. Usually it will be safe to check the lay bin after you haven't seen her anywhere in the enclosure for a while, as the lay bin should be well covered from viewing, and you see her back in the normal parts of the cage covered in dirt. At least usually.

Ah, now I see, sorry for the misunderstanding of her age! Yup, if this is her first time to be gravid it is quite surprising! So for in the sand box, you can use a spray can and water the surface of the sand every couple of days (to keep it moist) and the first day after putting the (already perfectly moistened sand in it) this will smooth over the sand and if she goes and Diggs you will see that she desturbed the sand if she did lay eggs and covered it up!
20171123_002052.jpg

A spray can like this would be perfect.

Not sure where to start...there's a lot going on here.

You said you're not "using a UVB at the moment. It burnt out and haven't replaced it yet"...how long has it been burned out? How long did you have the other one? Was it ever replaced before?

Please post a couple of photos of her cage.
Are the photos in post #14 recent?
What are the cage demensions?
What is the basking light? Does it produce white light? What temperature is the basking area at?

Definitely put an opaque egglaying bin in her cage at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with washed playsand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel. It would be best not to disturb all the cage "furniture" (branches etc) any more than necessary.

She could be gravid...she definitely has an eye issue...need more information to see if we can figure out what's going on..and it would definitely be best if you could take her to a good reptile vet before it's too late. If she's only 18 months old she could live a few more years if you can get her fixed up.

Sorry I didn't see your first post or I would have answered it then.

Not sure where to start...there's a lot going on here.

You said you're not "using a UVB at the moment. It burnt out and haven't replaced it yet"...how long has it been burned out? How long did you have the other one? Was it ever replaced before?

Please post a couple of photos of her cage.
Are the photos in post #14 recent?
What are the cage demensions?
What is the basking light? Does it produce white light? What temperature is the basking area at?

Definitely put an opaque egglaying bin in her cage at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with washed playsand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel. It would be best not to disturb all the cage "furniture" (branches etc) any more than necessary.

She could be gravid...she definitely has an eye issue...need more information to see if we can figure out what's going on..and it would definitely be best if you could take her to a good reptile vet before it's too late. If she's only 18 months old she could live a few more years if you can get her fixed up.

Sorry I didn't see your first post or I would have answered it then.
It's been about three or four weeks since her UVB burnt out. I understand I have to get it replaced as soon as possible.

Her current setup:
Mango_Cage.jpg

I got her a lay bin yesterday and moved her upstairs into my room where there would be less noise. After not seeing her in the bin all day, I put her in but she didn't do anything. She just crawled right out. I still have the bin in her cage and mist the sand regularly.

- Yes, the photos in post fourteen are recent. I took them on Wednesday night.

- Cage is 16 inches (40.64 centimeters) wide and 23.5 inches (59.69 centimeters) tall.

- Basking area produces yellow light and is kept at 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26.67 degrees Celsius).

- I tried feeding her earlier today but she kept spitting out her food. She's never done that before so now I'm getting even more concerned. Like mentioned earlier, she's unable to eat on her own so I force-feed her by holding an insect next to her mouth.

- She's drinking fine, fortunately. I drip a few drops from a syringe on her mouth and she drinks right away.

Last edited:
You swid your mom couldn't afford the vet care...what care did the vet recommend?

You said..." Poor eyesight/possibly blind (?); squinting; eyes always closed; rubbing eyes on surfaces"...why do you say possibly blind? The rubbing and squinting could be from an infection....and if it is then she needs a vet.

You said..." Not being able to eat on her own"...does/can she shoot her tongue out fully?

You said she doesn't drink on her own. Try dripping water on the tip of her nose at the rate if one of two drips per second for a long period of time...they're slow to start.

You said..."I tried feeding her earlier today but she kept spitting out her food. She's never done that before so now I'm getting even more concerned. Like mentioned earlier, she's unable to eat on her own so I force-feed her by holding an insect next to her mouth"...I don't know if it's a concern that she's spitting the food out of not because I've never force fed a gravid chameleon. If she's losing weight still ID be concerned.

The UVB really needs to be back in her but hopefully because you've been using the calcium with D3

Back
Top Bottom