fecal&urate colours

most fecals are brown/black/grey.

the color changes based on what they have been eating. Ive found that if they have eaten mostly worms the past few days, that it wil be greyer and more mucusy looking.

the urates should always be white. if they are ever yellow or orange, then they are dehydrated and need more water.

sometimes- just the very tip of the urate is orange/yellow- I feel this is because its just the last part that came out, its wetter etc. SO as long as most of the urate is white, he is fine.

I have found that whilst they are young and produce poop/urate every day, the urate tends to be white, indicating that they are well hydrated. As they get older, they poop less often - take my old boy Tommy, for example, he would only produce once every 7-10 days or more, and even though he would drink every day his urate could be quite yellow/orange at times. The longer the urate stays in the body, the more water gets absorbed from it, hence the more orange appearance. The last part to leave his body (the end that had been in him the least amount of time) was always white. Also, sometimes they will only produce a urate, or the poop can get separated from it depending on how far it falls in the cage and where it lands.

Reactions: Hoj
Back
Top Bottom