Falling/No Nails/Cage Size

Pmlyates

Hello! I have trolled these threads for a while now and so appreciate the information I have gleaned from them. I have had a veiled for over a year now so not completely new to this. We can always still learn though right?!

I have a question for you guys though. I recently acquired a juvenile panther and he has either lost his nails somehow or they are so short that he can't grip the cage. He keeps falling due to this. I don't believe that's it's a health issue because when I observe him it is not a strength issue but rather trying to get his nails in the mesh. He does great on branches! I have a four foot cage for him but I am reluctant to put him in such a large cage if he is falling off mesh. Would you do it? Maybe put a couple of layers of towels in bottom? But with the misting the towels would get soggy throughout the day and no longer be a soft cushion for him. Currently he is in a 16x16x20 because I'm concerned about him hurting himself. I know that that is way too small, thankfully he is still small but he is feeling cooped up. I have a 24x24x48 for him. Help! (Yes we have a vet visit next week (well check) but I truly don't think that's the issue)

Thanks for your help!
Penny

Attachments

• IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 162
IS the larger cage next to the smaller cage the one you will put him in? You could easily build a catch net for him in the larger cage and then just use the towels as an extra safety measure. His nails will likely never EVER grow back, very few chameleons are ever that lucky, so he would have to spend his entire life in the 16x16x20 otherwise.

IS the larger cage next to the smaller cage the one you will put him in? You could easily build a catch net for him in the larger cage and then just use the towels as an extra safety measure. His nails will likely never EVER grow back, very few chameleons are ever that lucky, so he would have to spend his entire life in the 16x16x20 otherwise.
Yes the larger is the one I would like to put him into. The smaller is what he is in now. Do you have a recommendation of what type of material to use as a catch net?

Could you maybe search for an alternative to screen. Something he couldn't climb on or at least not need nails for that allows airflow and use that for the walls. Glass or plastic but you would need a way to increase airflow.

Replying from my phone so...typos incoming!

If your chameleon pulled out the entire nail with its root it wont grow back but if there is still a bit nail left he might have a chance of growing them back. My cham pulled out 2 of his but luckely not the entire nails. They grew back byt his toes will always have a scar from the incident.

Personally I dont think this is a question to limit your chameleon but rather to give him more climbing options so the mesh will seem less attractive to climb on. Ive seen some people putting a (excuse my english) a thicker "net" made of vines or sometimes thin bamboo sticks in front of the mesh so their chameleon climbs that instead

Back
Top Bottom