Failure to acclimate?

chamlover

I bought a w/c melleri about 6-8 mos ago and everything was going fine. How many times have you heard that? Anyway, now she/he has stopped eating every day, which doesn't concern me too much because she doesn't eat very much anyway, but recently she has not been drinking very much, some days not at all. She has never drank from a dripper, only when i spray her, which is 2x day, sometimes for up to 30 min. Today she didn't drink again and i am really beginning to worry that it is failure to acclimate. The guy i got her from said he had her for 3 mos but i have never done business with him before and it was at a reptile show so i don't know for sure. She did go to the vets when i got her and was treated for parasites. Nothing else seems to be wrong! Nothing has changed in that time except for lack of drinking. I don't need to shower her because she is in a cage that has a bucket underneath so i can water her till my hearts content, but she will not drink. She does look a little dehydrated but not much. Any suggestions? Do you think i might be right? And if i am, what can i change, if anything, to help prevent this from getting worse? She does have an egg-laying bucket in there, just in case it is a female but i haven't seen any evidence of that either.

Debby

Do yo have a recent photo of her? Kristina seems to be able to tell alot from skin color, eyes, etc. We've only had Mellers since October, so we're not vastly experienced. Ours get sprayed automatically several times a day, in a free range, and our female usually goes to her spray spot a few minutes before the afternoon spray session. I did notice yesterday and the day before she was avoiding her misting. I hand mist them, as well, to be certain they are drinking. Such a delicate species. Have you changed her water temp or anything like that?

A photo would help, for the more seasoned folks to get an idea of her overall condition.

I bought a w/c melleri about 6-8 mos ago and everything was going fine. How many times have you heard that?

Hi Debby,
Actually, not that often. You got it past the 90-day acclimation they typically experience.

Anyway, now she/he has stopped eating every day, which doesn't concern me too much because she doesn't eat very much anyway, but recently she has not been drinking very much, some days not at all.

This time of year, especially in a melleri who has been captive for several months, males respond to our Spring/Summer seasons and tend to go light on feed, if not entirely off feed. It is possible you have a male gearing up for breeding.

She has never drank from a dripper, only when i spray her, which is 2x day, sometimes for up to 30 min.

That is very GOOD water delivery and duration for keeping melleri, good job! They seem to enjoy "rain" falling on them.

Today she didn't drink again and i am really beginning to worry that it is failure to acclimate. The guy i got her from said he had her for 3 mos but i have never done business with him before and it was at a reptile show so i don't know for sure. She did go to the vets when i got her and was treated for parasites. Nothing else seems to be wrong!

All of these factors make me think it's not failure to acclimate. Your melleri may have been in country anywhere from 6-11 months, so if it was going to fail, it would have done it long ago. It has been very well watered and vetted. Makes me think "healthy male" on this one.

When you say "nothing has changed", does that include its displays; roosting color; conditions of plants in cage; appearance or position of other cage furnishings; quality, temperature, or flavor of the water provided; automated light cycles?

At this time of year, even the natural sunlight through windows can stimulate them. Photos would help us suggest possible causes and things to ask your vet. If it has been off feed for several days, when was its last feces? Some chams stop eating while they are constipated.

It would give you piece of mind to run another fecal and possibly a blood smear at the vet's, even if it turns out to be healthy. A keeper knows his/her own animal's looks and behaviors, and if you truly feel something is "off", have another vet trip.

I suppose it could be a male, i don't know. I thought a male would be more active from what i've read. If i remember correctly they said males can go crazy looking for a female, which is why i thoght it was a female. It is very calm and is not very active and never has been. Water, food, plants, everything is the same. 1 thing i have changed is i started moving her cage in the doorway to get some sun in the am. I know she doesn't get uvb but she does seem to enjoy the sun anyway. We are just started to get nice weather so hopefully soon i can bring her out. The problem is i don't yet have an outisde cage for her and am too worried about her getting lost to let her free-range outside.

Skin color, eyes, everything looks the same.

I have not noticed her pooping. I mentioned that to my hubby yesterday that i intended to move her plants so i can see if she has pooped somewhere and i just haven't seen it. So it is possible that she is contsipated. What can i do about that? And what would cause that? Today i am going to shower again to see if i can get her to drink, that is what i am most concerned about. Actually just answered my own questionn. That would cause constipation, wouldn't it?

So you think it is a male huh?

Debby

OK, I take that back. His temps might have changed. We shut off the heat a few days ago because it was finally warming up. Our bedroom did get a little chill even though temps were reading about 70 we thought at night it might get colder so we eventually did use a heater just to make sure he didn't get cold. Also i checked everywhere in his cage and there is no poop anywhere to be found. I never thought i would get upset about that!! lol. So it has been about a week. I will increase his rain showers to 3 x day, he did not drink again today so far, should i also get some cod liver? How do you give it to him? I am out of silkworms and hornworms and only have crickets and superworms. He wont' eat silkworms anyway, go figure, talk about spoiled. He does like hormworms and will order some Mon. Should i inject them? How do you do that without killing them?

Debby

Also i checked everywhere in his cage and there is no poop anywhere to be found. I never thought i would get upset about that!! lol. So it has been about a week. I will increase his rain showers to 3 x day, he did not drink again today so far, should i also get some cod liver? How do you give it to him?

The temp drop could have shaken it up, if its enclosure went below 70F suddenly one night. I think it not drinking has more to do with it. Have you tasted the water you give it? Chameleons are the "canaries in the mine" when it comes to tap water quality.

A vet and more keepers' advice on the cod liver is needed. A couple keepers told me it was not a good idea to use orally, as it could coat the insides of the chameleon's GI tract and block water exchange, further binding up the works. I have no solid data for or against oral dosing, just that speculation. I have had success using it topically on the vent on a baby melleri who was obviously straining. It did the trick within hours. A 15-minute soak in lukewarm water, roughly 2" deep (keep the head up on a rest so it does not aspirate) can help get things moving. Some constipated chameleons can defecate after some good climbing exercise or in a long shower. In dire situations, a cloacal wash (enema) may be needed, depending on your vet's assessment.

The longest constipation successfully passed in one of my melleri was at 14 days. He was vetted at 13 days, palpated with no feces felt. The next day, he dropped a huge load of almond-shaped (compressed from constipation pressure) feces. So, palpation isn't 100% reliable. It is a serious concern if it does not pass eventually, it can be fatal.

Yes, i drink the water all the time. We have well water and drink straight from the tap. The snow did just melt do you think that could have changed the water somehow? The temps in the water woudn't change because i always make sure it is warm, but i did notice tonight he is dehydrated. If i can't get him to drink something by tomorrw i will call the vet. 3 days of not drinking really worries me. I will try bringing him outside as well to see if that helps. If he is a male and is lonely or wants a female could that be what started this food/water strike?

Debby

Update!!! Just to let everyone know, i think Sprite is going to be ok. I agree with you that it might be a male, i just thought that if it was a male it would be more ambitious about finding a female. I've heard they be horrible. Anyway, i don't know what caused the problem but with a little bit of threatening about a vet visit and an injection he decided to see it my way tonite and to drink. It took awhile and after about 15 min i actually lifted up his lip to allow some water in. Did that 3-4 times and the lights went on and he started drinking. I stayed in there about an hour till i was sure he was done. I will do that again for the next few days to make sure he is up to par. You mentioned that males will go without eating but never mentioned about drinking. Is that the same? Hopefully tomorrow i can get him to eat too. I'll have to get some more hornworms which he loves. God, i wish someone took care of me that good! lol.

Debby

You mentioned that males will go without eating but never mentioned about drinking. Is that the same?

No, not the same. The refusal to drink every time sometimes occurs in melleri that are very well hydrated, which is not what you observed in its condition... I do know of a keeper's male who went off water after his female cagemate died. He gaped frequently. He checked out fine otherwise, and weeks later, started drinking on his terms. They can take changes very hard, which is why I asked about all those factors.

Glad to hear it is drinking again!

Can they really go weeks without drinking without problems? I know they can go awhile without eating, but if mine went without drinking for more than a few days i think i would die from heart failure. MIne was definitely dehydrated because when i pushed his skin back it stayed that way.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom