eye question

alexcoppola

my cham has been closeing his left eye but not all of the time, could this be infection..? i mist him with worm water to flush his eyes but he has been doing this for a couple days now and im getting worryd

I've had chameleons with eye infections. Make sure that he is eating and getting water. Id keep a close eye on him and write down how long his eye stays shut, opens, looks inflamed, gets upset if you touch it lightly just in case you go to the vet you can cover everything. They use their eyes to eat and you don't want to let a infection go without ointment or drops from a vet, they can go blind or be in pain, so if it looks like he's in need of a vet, I would take him to be safe. Hope this helps you.

I would get some eye wash for humans and flush his eye with that several times a day. That and extra mistings. If it doesn't clear up within a couple of days I would at least call the vet to see if you need to take him in.

Howdy Alex,

You've probably already read posts where its been discussed that closure of a single eye is more often a symptom some other non-eye related health issue rather than an eye infection. But as Laurie said, using a simple squirt bottle of saline style eye wash (saline contact cleaner works the same but check with the pharmacist to be sure that's what you picked) can be effective at removing debris and/or reducing an infection. Fill the eyelid with solution by producing a stream directed right at the eye slit until the lid fills. Let him move the eye around for a minute. Sometimes they will even rub the eye against your finger if given a chance. You can fill the eyelid several times in one session. If it is an eye infection, you'll need an antibiotic from your vet to cure it. If it is stress/health related then you'll have to sort out what's what. An eye infection is usually accompanied with some discharge or milky looking cornea. If you can get a good look at the cornea and it's clear then it is more likely something else or the infection is at the early stage.

Here's a good eye:
Peek-a-boo.jpg

Damage from an eye infection:
LeftEyeIMG_5245Mod1.jpg

At some point you'll have to punt and head for the vet (Greek or Stein or Molnar depending on your transportation access).

As a somewhat guarded choice, you could bring him to the SBCK meeting tomorrow night (parents welcome) and have us all take a peek at his eye :eek:. A meeting environment can be stressful for chameleons so be forewarned :(: https://www.chameleonforums.com/aug...eleon-keepers-meeting-los-angeles-area-45827/

Now is a good time to supply detailed answers (photos of everything!) to: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Back
Top Bottom