Eye problems with my Fischer's...

Allwalksoflife, just looping back to the size issue. I just posted this up in the General thread, but wanted to show you how small my first male is. He was this size when I got him (I was told he was fully grown) 15 months ago.
21051d1269922404-crew-dolots-spike.jpg

**edited to add**

those are my old lady fingers....I don't think the longest is over 4 inches long.

Eliza: Thanks for all the extra info! :)
I know everyone's saying my fisher's a girl, but I still think its a boy, but I'll ask the vet what she/he thinks when I go. I'm hoping it's a boy cuz I really don't wanna deal with the egg laying because it was so stressful on my female veiled I had before. And it stressed me out because she was stressed out...
And I see how your male was small too. I have small hands and when I first got him he was so little, but he ate all kinds but still grew so slowly. I tried to measure him, but it's kinda hard ya kno haha...but what I could estimate he's about 6 inchs from nose to tip of tail, but yours looks much stockier than my little guy. That's why I tried to make sure he ate enough (i.e. waxworms) since I always feel like he's a bit on the skinny side. But like some have said, some species grow slower than others, since my female veiled grew pretty fast. In the end, I don't really care how big he (or she) gets as long as he's healthy and happy.

**I have an appt. at 10:30AM tomorrow at the Avian and Exotic Clinic in Monterey.

Cainschams: Thanks for your input. I was making sure he got enough food because I thought he wasn't getting enough since he was still so small, but it's not like I force feed him. He has a little ceramic dish I put the meal worms in and (I've run out of waxworms last week actually) and he eats them when he wants. And I thought I had put it, but he does eat silkworms. I've ordered them online and all that. Same thing with the crickets, they're live so I toss a few in there and let him go at it. For the spiders, its only sometimes if there is a daddylonglegs roaming around my apt. I've even seen him grab a couple of little common green caterpillars that eat my plants outside during the spring/summer last year too.
As for the calcium, others have mentioned it also, so I won't give him the calcium as much, only 1-2 every month.
Temperature wise, like I said it only gets up to 84 during the summer, but I live there too, and I don't like to die of heat, so I do turn on my AC. As for keeping it 60 degrees or less, like I said, I live there too, and that's way too cold for myself. I don't have a special room just for him, its a 1x1 apt, I'm a college student, I can't afford a house or even a 2 bedroom apt. And I've housed a female veiled and him at the same time for over 2 years and it's worked.
Humidity, I'm going to try a couple of things everyone has suggested to help with that. I wish I had a nice green-house like structure for him, but I don't have the room for one.... :\

Thanks for the luck everyone, I'm hoping its something the vet can easily take care of too.

I never thought of Spike as stocky...that's funny. Even if yours turns out to be a female from what others have said in this thread it seems Fischer's aren't quite the egg producing machines Veiled seem to be. Kinyonga said she never had one lay unless it had been mated. At least having been through it once, you'd be prepared if it did happen.

Definitely let us know what the vet says.

I understand that you are wishing it is a boy-but the fact is that it is a girl. You got it in 2008, it is full grown, it will likely not get bigger, and the fact that it is on the thin side is possibly what has kept it from cycling eggs. Please take a fecal sample to the Vet in case parasites are what is keeping her thin.
I do also hope you pick up some Terramycin, it could save you from the expense and worry you are going through.

Yes I plan on asking the vet about the sex, possible parasites, the Terramycin, etc. I'm pretty positive the eye problem goes beyond just debris in his/her eye since there seems to be a white membrane/film covering his/her problem eye. I know this vet deals with reptiles, dragons and turtles and such, but I'm not positive how much experience they have with chameleons. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Just curious but, how do you guys travel with your chameleons when taking them to the vet? Do you transport them in their cages or do you have some special deal you take them in?

Last edited:
Really? Wow-I didn't know that. Can you order it over the internet or do they restrict that to? It really is a great thing to have on hand.

They restrict you online, you have to have vet permission # or something, I've tried buying before when I had my female veiled.

*Edited cuz of Carlton's post*

Actually I just tried buying from LLLreptile and it was letting me buy it. Strange.

I'm not 100% sure lll is big on the whole "rule" thing....they also ship their animals Fed Ex which is explicitly against Fed Ex policy.

They restrict you online, you have to have vet permission # or something, I've tried buying before when I had my female veiled.

*Edited cuz of Carlton's post*

Actually I just tried buying from LLLreptile and it was letting me buy it. Strange.

Maybe there's a difference in the formulation (you know, the whole OTC strength vs prescription strength)?

maybe so......?

----

so how do you guys transport your chams to the vet? I'm wondering should I just take his whole cage? seems kinda strange to do that...

From what I've read you can sort of replicate the experience of bringing him (her?) home: put a stick in a bag for "holding" and make sure there are airholes...close securely.travel. I've seen people say the use a tupperware type tub or cardboard box. Just make sure there's something to cling to and enough air. I think it helps if it's dark. If you have a large "critter keeper" (maybe for crickets or to house an animal while cleaning a cage?) yours is small enough to be comfortable in that. If you want "dark" just toss a towel over it for the car ride.

I know people do have "travelling" cages but I think that's when they need to move the animals fairly often.

Thanks for the tips. I have a large critter creeper, but it has crickets in it right now :\ But I'll use the cardboard box idea. I have a decent sized and tall cardboard box that I can makeshift into a traveler and my mom has some fake ivy plants and there's plenty of vines/branches here at my 'rents house. The vet is about an hour and 15min away from me, so I don't think it will be too bad...

OH, and earlier today, I tried the long period of misting idea someone mentioned, and (even though he hated it) he DID open his bad eye for a few seconds which to my relief still looked ok (could see his pupil and all that) so that cloudy covering over his eye must be his nictitating membrane he's using to keep his eye from being exposed to the outside air. He still ended up closing it back up however.

Well I promise you the vet will have no clue about the sex... At this point I don't even care about the eye!

Well I promise you the vet will have no clue about the sex... At this point I don't even care about the eye!

LOL:confused: The eye is the main concern!

And as plenty of people who have experience with this species said.......its a female. I really dont see why that is so hard to believe?

Regardless of what the vet says (most are not experts on chameleons, let alone chameleon diversity and the sexing of different species), you have a female Kinyongia multituberculata. There is no question about it whatsoever.

Chris

What works great at my place with eyes problems is contact lense solution (the cheap one, which is most a NaCl-solution). Your chamaeleon will hate it but it helps

Back
Top Bottom