Eye infection/ bulge

I recently bought a new male veiled chameleon. He is a pleasure and I love him to death! I want to do what's right for him, and help him. He is eating fine but there seems to be a giant bulge in his eye! I'm worried for him and need help. Should I take him to a vet or is there some home remedy i could us? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 142
While it takes a few minutes, filling this out will be a great help for those able to assist you https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male, 3 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Every other day
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Every day I add 6 crickets to her cage. I do buy gut-loaded crickets at the store.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Reptivite and calcium supplement to every cricket.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper- 5 minutes and misting- 3 squeezes on her and leaves, no I don't see her drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Green and brown colors, poop is brown with whiteish yellow attachment. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Yes.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot- 90 F, ground- 70, night- 55-60
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40-50% drip per and mist
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? None
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? None and about 18-24 inches off the ground.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Ohio

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My chameleon has an eye problem.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to fill out How to Ask for Help.

I'll admit, I won't be much help with the eye issue, but any eye issues really do warrant a vet visit. That picture isn't very clear, either. Any chance of better pictures, and full cage set up? Did that bulge suddenly come on? Is he shedding? Chams puff up their eyes to help them shed, could have got some shed in there. Other than that, I'm going to tackle some things on your list here...

You didn't fill out what kind of lighting your cham has.

You said - "Reptivite and calcium supplement to every cricket," calcium w/o vit D should be given at every meal, but vitamins and calcium with vit D should be given only once or twice a month(depends on your lizard and what you feed, I typically use Cal w/D3 every two weeks, vitamins every two weeks, alternating). Also, don't trust that the pet store is properly gut loading their crickets. You should gut load your own food if you keep it on hand, and offer a wide range of feeders.

Stool sounds healthy enough, a little bit of yellow orange urate can show up when a cham hasn't pooped for a while, or is on the verge of dehydration. It wouldn't hurt to use the shower method for him, it may even dislodge something in his eye. Use a fake or live plant in the bath tub, aim the luke warm shower half at the shower wall, half at the plant. A good 20-30 min shower will get him drinking.

Is there substrate in the cage? If yes, get rid of it. Yes, it looks nice, but not worth the risk of impaction from eating it, or getting something in the eye.

Hope he feels better soon. Keep us posted :)

Back
Top Bottom