Ethical Breeding

This is probably going to be long, for that I apologize.

We just got our first chameleon just over a week ago. I had wanted one since I was a young teenager but due to family rules ("the only pets that can have a tail in this house are the dog and cats!") I wasn't able to get one. I briefly thought about it while I was in college but I was also traveling a lot so I got a puppy instead during my last semester. The puppy was not an impulse purchase, I'm just trying to keep this a bit short, she came with me everywhere. I reevaluated my chameleon desire in my early 20s and again decided that I did not have the time to commit to one or the experience, the caresheets I was reading at that time frightened me and I came to the conclusion that there was no way I was ever going to be able to keep a chameleon alive and eventually abandoned the idea for about 5 years. The I started working at an exotic vet. I would see all sorts of reptiles come in and started working on my SO to allow me to get one. He, understandably, kept saying no for various reasons; we already have dogs and cats, he's afraid of reptiles, etc. I backed off for a bit until a very sick leopard gecko came in to the clinic - she was treatable but the owner wanted to euthanize her. She ended up being surrendered and after begging and assuring him that she wasn't able to escape, I was allowed to bring her home. She renewed my love for reptiles and made me realize that not only was I able to keep her alive but I was also good at it. We quickly acquired more from various sources - one leo male from a breeder at an expo. a pet store reject leo that was just handed to me, a crested from a classified site and another crested that was given to me due to a mass on his side (that came off when he shed, he's perfectly healthy). The SO has come to realize that he loves watching the reptiles and will even throw some of the feeders in with them so he can watch them eat. He will not interact with them but he does like them. That's the back story.

Anyways, the chameleon we got is an ambilobe. He was kept with about 14 other chameleons in a small enclosure, the owners were attempting to breed them. When they started fighting and getting sick, they surrendered them to a local (reputable) pet store. They were all fixed up and put up for sale at discounted prices due to their less than perfect appearance - most were missing portions of their tails, including my guy.

We have a bit of reptile breeding experience due to two of our leos that we cannot separate, neither will eat if they aren't together, so we had eggs. We incubated them and gave/sold them to friends and friends of friends. All are doing well and we actually have requests for next breeding season. The SO enjoyed the baby leos quite a bit and really helped with their care while I was at work, which surprised me quite a bit. He really wants to try with chameleons as well, I'm fine with it and we have the room if we have to keep all the offspring.

I'm having a bit of an ethical dilemma with this though, I'm pretty sure this stems from dog rescue work that I did "back in the day". I'm probably anthropomorphizing the chameleon more than I would like to admit in regards to this. Is it ethical in the chameleon breeding world to breed a rescue if they are receptive and in good health?

There is an expo coming up here in September that we were originally planning on getting our chameleon at but now the SO has said that he would like to get a female there, he has no problems with breeding the male we have but the rescue part of it is what is bothering me.

Any thoughts?

No, I don't think it's unethical as long as genetically and physically he is able to. I understand that if you had a terribly malformed chameleon suffering from metabolic bone disease, who could potentially hurt himself if he tried mating and fell and cracked a bone, that you would not want to. Or like Mike says, if he had a questionably genetic background or any genetic issues. But if he has some minor aesthetic issues from neglect then I don't think breeding him falls under unethical behavior, as none of it will affect his offspring.

I, for example, have a female Meller's who was terribly neglected. As a result she is blind in one eye and has lost some teeth due to infections but is otherwise in great shape, health-wise. She's huge, beautiful, and would make potentially amazing babies so I definitely have plans to breed her if she's willing. Now that she has great care she is in great health, so I have no qualms about breeding her. If she were still really sick, weak, or otherwise disabled on the other hand I would definitely not consider it.

As a rule I retire my females from breeding after four clutches of fertile eggs. Sometimes, I may let one go an extra clutch depending on her health, age, amount of eggs produced from previous clutches, times spent outdoors, etc... It really is an ethical decision that even with others input, I find, we will inevitably decide ourselves. Good luck and always breed responsibly. The fact that you even asked, shows you are on the right path.

Welcome to the forums. If your guy is only missing some of his tail then that shouldn't be a problem as long as he's not to old. I'm not sure if you gave his age in your post. Personally I would not breed a female over three years old but might would go a tad older on a male. Egg laying is very hard on a female and fertile eggs are harder on them than infertile because they are larger. When a female is older she is prone to start having medical problems anyway and egg laying shortens their life.

You might find this older thread helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-thoughts-breeding-2612/

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone!

He (the chameleon) is around 1 year old. He eats well, is healthy, no MDB, is active, and handles stress well/doesn't stress easily.

I'm going to start reading up in case we decide to pursue this!

Agreed with junglefries. Keep in mind how long you keep your females active. With larger clutches more than 3 can be a death sentence. About your male, as previously stated you do want to ensure thee have been no inbreed in the genetic history. If he is a healthy young male that can hold his own with the ladies, who would deprive him of one of life's treats?

You sound like you are doing all the right things, and certainly can get and keep a reptile healthy.

I see no reason you could not breed your cham, unless he does not have enough tail left to wrap around the female to hold on when breeding. Take a look at pictures and decide if you feel he is physically able to breed. If he is and you and your SO want to breed, get a healthy female and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom