Dubia please help!

KylieT

got my dubia and the littler of the juvies can climb the tub! does the tape thing work here too?

yes. packing tape along the top works. i make about a 2 inch barrier from the top. don't want those guys to escape.

thank you! theyre scary enough now this!!!! ahhh! Im just tweaking lots of tape..... lots and lots of tape!!!!

I got a pic just one min... It's straight black larger than the males no wings and no spots.

can you post a pic or find a link with the roaches that look like yours??
Adults (Males have wings)
adultsinbin.jpg

Juvies
BDubias.jpg

hosting the pic now! just a couple more seconds! It doesn't have the brown coloration that the females do.

I got the deepest bin I could find with the clamp on handles. If they get out even one of them they're gone. Period.

This is going to seem abusive and mean but how long can the lid be on and they survive without ventilation? and can I just cut out and mesh a part of the top of the lid? I'm going to ventilate it tonight just haven't gotten around to it.

Uhura ate her first dubia and she got super excited.

I simply cut out the center of the lid and hot glue screen into the hole. I cut ventilation holes in the sides of my cricket bins and screen those. But for dubia thats not necessary. One ventilation hole is enough and actually is better for breeding temp purposes. You dont want too much cool air entering the bin and lowering the temps too much too slow breeding females.

I got the deepest bin I could find with the clamp on handles. If they get out even one of them they're gone. Period.

This is going to seem abusive and mean but how long can the lid be on and they survive without ventilation? and can I just cut out and mesh a part of the top of the lid? I'm going to ventilate it tonight just haven't gotten around to it.

I think hoj keeps his without any vents So they should be fine. The pic U posted looks like a dubia to me. I have a lid on mine all the time and my lids have clamps that keep it closed. I have crix escapees but not any dubias.

Uhura ate her first dubia and she got super excited.

they will be fine in there for a day, maybe more..

And all i did was cut a 5'' x 7'' hole in the lid and tape a piece of screen over it..

That one dark roach you posted is a Dubia.. I have them in my colony.. Some dark, some lighter, some spotted.

part of the reason for the switch was that my crix are escaping. not in massive numbers but enough that I'm worried about making my landlord angry. If I can keep them with no vent I will more than happily do that. My landlord doesn't know I have them, I said the box I got was caterpillars. My landlord is also my upstairs neighbor.

if that is a dubia female then I only got 2 adult females and 15ish males and a crapload of juvies. That may be a not so good start to the whole colony thing.

and this is going to sound naive but they can't fly can they? I grew up in the south and I've seen my share of big flying things... creeps me the out.

Do you guys only feed the babies and juvies? cause the big ones are sorta big.

Do I need to be keeping an eye on their humidity too?

Do you guys only feed the babies and juvies? cause the big ones are sorta big.

Do I need to be keeping an eye on their humidity too?

I've got a pretty big colony so I feed the adults to my adult chams and the babies to my little chams. But I you're trying to grow your colony, don't feed off your adults.

part of the reason for the switch was that my crix are escaping. not in massive numbers but enough that I'm worried about making my landlord angry. If I can keep them with no vent I will more than happily do that. My landlord doesn't know I have them, I said the box I got was caterpillars. My landlord is also my upstairs neighbor.

if that is a dubia female then I only got 2 adult females and 15ish males and a crapload of juvies. That may be a not so good start to the whole colony thing.

and this is going to sound naive but they can't fly can they? I grew up in the south and I've seen my share of big flying things... creeps me the out.

Humm, thats weird!! Should be the other way around (do you have any Chams that can eat Adult male Dubias, i would feed off about 10 of them).. What order did you buy? was it a "starter colony"?

And no they don't fly. The males will flutter if you drop them, but thats it.

I've got a pretty big colony so I feed the adults to my adult chams and the babies to my little chams. But I you're trying to grow your colony, don't feed off your adults.

my chams are a ten month and a 4 month old veiled. My females older and huge for a girly. I don't know if she'll really get any bigger.

Back
Top Bottom