Drop in Outdoor Temps - Huge Drop in Enclosure Temp - Advice?

AZJ0SH

So it's gotten about 20 degrees colder over the last week here in Phoenix. I keep my bedroom window open because I love the cold air at night, and it's significantly cooled down my apartment to about 70 degrees now.

Because of the drop in temp in my apartment, my chameleons 75 watt soft-white bulb is not providing enough heat now.

I have read others get much higher temps with 75W but I can't seem to produce these temps, so I am wondering if I should use a different type of light bulb, or upgrade to a 100w soft-white?

Right now his basking spot is 81 degrees, way too cold for a 7 month old veiled. Do you think a 100W would be too much, or should I try a "clear" 75W?

Just trying to see what you guys think is the right wattage before I come home with 20 different types and wattages of light bulbs. :D

can you bring the 75 watt closer without a chance of him being burned?
If not get the 100watt BUT figure out how you can move it further away if needed to maintain the correct temps :)

Lowes carries a nice in line dimmer that you just plug in and plug the light into and it will allow you to adjust to the correct temp. (it's in the electrical section next to the wall switch dimmers...usually on the bottom shelf)

That said I keep the cham room at 75 during the day and use 45-60 watt bulbs, but that is on panthers and I keep basking in the mid to low 80's

Last edited:
I went and bought a 100w soft-white, I am only getting 82 degrees, a whopping 2 degree increase. I am using 3 different thermometers to check the temps.

The basking light sits on top of his enclosure, his basking spot is about 8" away form the light, I can't move his spot closer since the vines are zip-tied and other vines are tied to it.

Would it help to block off one side of his enclosure? The back is covered, so right now the front sides and top are open, would it hurt to close off 1-2 sides or would that cut too much into his airflow?

Also, what about a "warm" humidifier, if those exist? I think I saw some that put out a warm fog instead of a cool one.

I was told no on a "warm humidifier" for my son because of the increase risk of bacteria and ri. I would think the same would hold true with our Chameleon.
But please note I am only thinking out loud, this is not from experience
Anne

I went and bought a 100w soft-white, I am only getting 82 degrees, a whopping 2 degree increase. I am using 3 different thermometers to check the temps.

The basking light sits on top of his enclosure, his basking spot is about 8" away form the light, I can't move his spot closer since the vines are zip-tied and other vines are tied to it.

Can you add above the vine so you don't have to move everything- add a small arch so they can go up if they want

I would just keep using a higher wattage bulb until you get the temp you desire. I am pretty sure they sell 150 watts.

I am just confused because I know others get higher temps with lower wattage bulbs. I just measured his basking spot and it's more like 12" from the light. I am adding some extra bio vine as mentioned above to make an "arch" of sorts to get him closer to the light.

The ambient temp in his enclosure is about 74-75, is that too cold or is that alright? The basking is at 81 right now, I think with 2-4" closer it should be in the mid 80's.

What works for one person might not work for others. Just because I'm using a 60w bulb and get 85*F temps, doesn't mean that you might not have to go use a much higher wattage to achieve the same temps. Don't be afraid to try different wattages if you need to, I know people recommend 40-60w bulbs all the time but if you need a 100w or more then what are you going to do, obviously you need it.

You can also block the two sides of the cage, and leave the top and front uncovered. This might help a lot, in both temps and humidity.

You can try upgrading to a spotlight type of bulb as opposed to an incandescent. They produce alot more heat. You may have to move the fixture up actually if you get one of those. I used to use them during winter months yrs ago when I kept veileds.

I moved his basking spot up a few inches, it gets to about 84 degrees now, thanks for the help guys!

A 50w flood light will produce very high temps.....get the GE brand and u will have a light for several years.....

Heat

I am new to the Chameleon world but if you make it hotter at the top,(than he will need)
he can adjust his environmental temp by moving himself lower on his structure. If he likes it warmer he can go "upstairs" lol. Better to be to hot at the top and he can go lower on his perch than be to cold at the top and he cant get warm even if he wants too.

I am new to the Chameleon world but if you make it hotter at the top,(than he will need)
he can adjust his environmental temp by moving himself lower on his structure. If he likes it warmer he can go "upstairs" lol. Better to be to hot at the top and he can go lower on his perch than be to cold at the top and he cant get warm even if he wants too.

You don't want it to be too hot at the top, too hot can be bad too.

Back
Top Bottom