Does anyone want pill bugs?

phantomchameleon

Established Member
They are literally everywhere in my basement. i will catch as many as i can and i will ship them to you just please take them from me. They're high in calcium and i guarantee your chameleon will love them(not actually guaranteed)
(this post is mostly meant as a joke but if anyone actually wants them i will supply)

We actually bought 50 to try to start a colony. They all died. They were supposed to be easy to keep so something must have happened.

You shouldn't use wild isopods as a feeder, use then as a breeding colony.
We actually bought 50 to try to start a colony. They all died. They were supposed to be easy to keep so something must have happened.
How did you keep them? They need safe soil, hiding places, prefer specific thing in their substrate and need high humidity. They are extremely easy to keep with the right set up.

You shouldn't use wild isopods as a feeder, use then as a breeding colony.

How did you keep them? They need safe soil, hiding places, prefer specific thing in their substrate and need high humidity. They are extremely easy to keep with the right set up.
well apparently my basement is the perfect set up

High humidity is of paramount importance because they breathe through gills, I think that's a very common cause of problems with isopods.

I heard that wildcaught are high is metals making them not a food feeder. I tried to start a colony, but they seem to take really long to grow

I use them as a cleaner in my set up. We also call the potato bugs around hear as well as rollie pollies. Interesting fact did you know they aren't actually a bug at all, but a land shrimp. Could be why the moisture is so vital.

I use them as a cleaner in my set up. We also call the potato bugs around hear as well as rollie pollies. Interesting fact did you know they aren't actually a bug at all, but a land shrimp. Could be why the moisture is so vital.
I actually didn't know that! That's what I'm going to call them from now on. Land shrimp. Shlimplies for short? No that sounds terrible

Not all isopods roll up into a ball. An yes they are a type of crustacean. The ones that are found in the ocean are huge. They do take a long time to grow, but most larger species of isopods will start breeding before they even reach full length.

Back
Top Bottom