discoid vs dubia

sixstring

I got a new colony of discoids to replace my lobsters (not fond of them...). I see a ton of info on dubia, but nobody seems to be hyping up the discoids as much. I have read that discoids are a little faster and some say breed slower than dubias. They/ seem to be so similar. Why do so many people choose dubia over discoids? Thanks in advance

The Dubias are more common because they have been around and its a proven fact they are easy and eventually free food if you breed them long enough.

Dubia males stay smaller thank discoids and the females tend to be smaller than discoid females. Discoids are much faster than dubia, however I believe they are meatier as nymphs as well. I actually like my discoids better than my dubia, I can't kill em. Not to mention they breed very fast. I started with 20 adults(mostly male) a year ago, and 3 months after I was teeming with nymphs of different sizes that are meatier than dubia nymphs. Now I have thousands upon thousands.

it is simple, it is because in a blind taste test 9 out of 10 chameleons prefer the taste of dubia's over discoids, haha couldnt resist that.

I'm sure one of the main reasons for people preferring the dubias is they're not climbers or flyers, coupled witht the fact that they're slower than discoids and other species too. At least that was a big reason for my choosing to go with them. You don't even have to keep a lid on their enclosure!

I'm sure one of the main reasons for people preferring the dubias is they're not climbers or flyers, coupled witht the fact that they're slower than discoids and other species too. At least that was a big reason for my choosing to go with them. You don't even have to keep a lid on their enclosure!

Discoids are non flying/climbing as well, though I am sure they are slower. How long do they do the "playing dead" thing for? That actually turned me off. I would rather have something that moves a bit in a cup for cams, and something that runs all over the place for tarantulas/other reptiles.

Try telling my girlfriend that!;):eek::rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. I love watching them though, their pretty interesting.

Thanks for all the replies

Back
Top Bottom