Dehydrated help?

firebird73159

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335410916.468945.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335410941.237665.jpg
Noticed my veiled chameleons eyes looked sunken in he is eating like a Champ. I use the mistking misting system only have 1 nozzle and I hand spray him twice a day. His eyes looked fine this morning but before bed I noticed his eyes looking like this. I just cleaned his tank out so couldn't find and poop or urate. I give him non d3 calcium daily multi vitamin and d3 calcium 2 times a month he seems to have a firm grip. Today he ate 5 crickets a medium Dubia roach and 3 wax worms.

species- vieled
sex- male
age- sub adult about 6 months
How long has it been in your care- 2 months.
Handling - daily almost
Feeding - medium crickets medium Dubia and a wax worm sometimes.
What is the schedule-2 times a day
How are you gut-loading your feeders- I use flukers orange cube gel diet
Supplements - reptical non d3 calcium Repashy calcium plus rep cal herptivite non d3 daily vitamins and d3 calcium twice a month.
What kind of watering technique do you use- mistking most system 3 times a day for 5 min each also hand spray twice a day and see him drinking during those times.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites- no
Cage Info- 18x18x18
Cage Type- screen
Lighting- Exoterra dual top canopy with 2 5.0 UVB tube bulbs and a halogen bulb for basking.
What is your daily lighting schedule- lights on at 7 am off at 10:30pm
Temperature- cage floor 80's basking spot 90's Lowest overnight temp? 70's How do you measure these temps- IR gun and digital temp/humidity guage.
Humidity - 60 to 90%
What are your humidity levels? How are Plants - pothos, fern, branches off an oak tree fake vines and leaves.
Placement - cage is in my chameleon room not near a vent and top of cage is a little above eye level.
Location- Oklahoma city
Current Problem - possibly dehydrated

and also that seems way to hot for the basking spot. i would say drop that down a bit and make sure the bottom reaches 70's so that if he wants to cool off he can. dehydration can be caused by too much heat too even if he is drinking enough.

Go to the vet an get him feed some electrolytes. My panther was similar and went down hill quickly and passed away today.:( Might also try getting some hornworms as they're big water balloons.

Last edited:
What does his color is his urate? ( The end of the poop that is white or yellow...??? )

Please let us know when you get an appointment and what the vet says. Also plan to take a fecal to the vet to be tested when you go.

The only one I could find was all brown. Is there anything I could give him incase I can't get in right away I was going to use the vet pointed out on the forum but only saw one for my area so no telling how busy they could be.

They can still run a fecal on the poop. But there should be some colored urate on the end. You might want to consider a Shower Chamber Treatment https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/594-shower-chamber-treatment.html

Also I feel that you don't need 2 uvb bulbs.

I'm sure other more experienced members will pick up on other things that might be changes or adjusted.

Ok I checked on him this morning and he is still moving around and eating gave a big drink. I called the N. Pennsylvania vet hospital here in Oklahoma city and made him an appointment but the exotics vet won't be in till tomorrow so I'm taking him first thing in the am. In the mean time I have changed his basking bulb to a 60 watt lightbulb and went to just 1 UVB bulb also added another 3 minute misting on my most king to help till I get him to the vet.

Glad you have an appointment. Don't forget to take a a fecal sample for them to test. Keep us posted on what the vet says and any medications test or treatment he feels is appropriate.

Got Rex back from the vet they wanted to keep him for a few hours for observation so I dropped him off early this morning and he was up there till about 2. My wife picked him up since i was at work and so kinda got the short version of what the vet said lol but pretty much he is doing good. While there They checked for parasites and they also gave him a feeding tube for some reason but all in all the herp vet said he was doing good.

Well I'm glad to hear that the vet feels all in all he is doing well. I wonder if the tube feeding was to get some liquids as well as some type of boosting formula. Did they say if the fecal was negative or positive? Sounds like the vet is working out well for you.

why are you keeping your lights on for so long? 10:30 is late. You should try and schedule your lights to go on and off with the sun up sun down outside. It is dark long before 10:30. That is not natural for them.

why are you keeping your lights on for so long? 10:30 is late. You should try and schedule your lights to go on and off with the sun up sun down outside. It is dark long before 10:30. That is not natural for them.

Well...it depends on where he is, there are places where it's only dark for a few hours.

But, for the chameleon, 12 on 12 off is probably a good basic plan.

Back
Top Bottom