dehydrated and not usual self.

hollypops

My male yemen does not seem himself at all.He has been in his new home since Friday night and spent most of yesterday exploring.

However today he is just lying on the top branch (eyes open) and not moving around much.

A couple of days a go he was dehydrated as his urates were yellow despite regular misting.He usually drinks quite well when i mist but lately appears to be taking less.

Cage- All wire mesh screen.48 inches high x 24 x24.On a table 18 inches high so top of cage is about 5 and a half foot high.
Cage has exo terra vines,large fiscus benjamina and umbrella plant.(repotted in eco earth.
Kitchen roll on floor of cage.
Lighting-10% zoo med uv tube in a canopy that is about 3-4 inches high and a 2% zoomed uv tube.2x exoterra sunglo basking halogen bulbs.I zoomed deep dome fitting with a 40 watt white spot bulb.
Basking temp 94.2 meaured with digital thermometer.Was 97 but my cham was sat gaping.Bottom of cage 70 and night time temps drop to about 68.
On for 12 hrs a day 10-10.

Chameleon- Male yemen chameleon.Roughly about 9-10 months old weighs 134g today.(not lost any weight).
Currently starting to shed.
Fed daily on gut loaded locusts,crickets,and morio worms,butter worms,wax worms (ocassional).I saw him eat a large locust today.

Handled-Daily,his choice.He always walks on to my arm as i open his cage and has a wander around.He often hangs on the door waiting for it to be opened and then comes straight out if we open it.He is usually trying to turn and come back out when we put him back in his cage.

Problem-Not eating as much as normal,not drinking as much.Has been dehydrated and eyes look slightly sunken still.Skin returns when pinched in about 1 second.Seems very lazy/lethargic today.Lay on same branch most of the day.Not exploring home.Is active as normal when cage is opened as he walks out on my arm and is happy to wander.Bright colours when out but seems dull in cage.Urates still a yellowy colour,poop is hard an dark as normal.

I am no expert but i know they sometimes stop eating when they shed ,he could also still be settlin in to his "new home" my veiled stops eating from time to time..give it a couple of days if it doesnt get better take it to a vet.....(Like i said im no expert)..

Sorry i thought i had written about uv.I have a canopy on top of the mesh top which holds 2 tubes.I have a 10% uvb -zoomed reptisun and a 2% uvb zoomed reptisun.

When my temps were mid to high 80,s i was told to up them.I get confused what basking temp i need as it varies between babies and adults and site to site.

Hmmm something is wrong in his cage. Chameleons won't want to come out if they're happy inside their cage. I dunno what to suggest apart from changing your UV lighting, from what I can gather you have 2 UV lights in there? one 10 and one 2? You only need one reptisun 5.0 tube that stretches right across your cage with a reflector.

Just how yellow is the urates? a bit of yellow at the top isn't anything to worry about really, my chameleon has always had a little bit of yellow in the 6 months i've had him. I could be wrong but i've not had any problems and I always see him drink.

The eating I wouldn't worry too much about either, they do eat less when they're shedding and they eat less as they get older. I believe the amount to offer is 6 appropriately sized insects every 2 days. I always offer Isambard 6 a day and he usually takes 3 or 4 of them.

No, mid to high 80s is a good temperature. That could be why he's acting like this. Do you have to have 2 lights in the holder? If you do, you should take out the 10.0 and put a 5.0 in it.

I was told on here to use a 10% due to the height of my cage (4 ft) and the fact i have a canopy on the top.Was told 50% of uv is lost when outside the mesh.(my canopy has a reflector)

I was told on here to use a 10% due to the height of my cage (4 ft) and the fact i have a canopy on the top.Was told 50% of uv is lost when outside the mesh.(my canopy has a reflector)

Forgive the silly question but by canopy do you mean loads of plants at the top of the cage? I have a 4 foot cage also but the top of the cage is totally clear. A reptisun 5.0 with reflector appears to do the job as i've had no problems with Isambard so far.

Ah you mean something like this don't you?

p-35340-47095-reptile.jpg

I have something very similar too and the 5.0 works fine. 5.0 is perfectly adequate because that canopy will reflect the light deeper into the cage, I have mine slap bang in the middle so the rays reach everywhere.

Height of cage doesn't matter. It depends on how far he is capable of getting. If he can only get like 6 inches away from it, 10.0 is too high of an outlet.

Ya, take out the 10.0. Get a 5.0, it will be better for him, do you have a heat lamp in there too?

I really like your cage setup. I think the 10.0 is fine and your basking temps are OK. He is probably just adjusting to the new cage. My big male has his favorite spot where he spends a good portion of the day. Maybe your guy has already found his favorite spot. When they get older you will notice they really do just lounge around soaking up heat.

Yes exo terra sun glo bulb 35w.

I put a thread a few weeks back asking what size uvb to buy and it turned into a massive debate.Some said 10 %and some said 5%.

So i emailed someone with yemens on uk forum who is highly repected and told her i was confused as everyone disagreed and was told to go with a 10 and a 2.So i did

When they get older you will notice they really do just lounge around soaking up heat.

Yeah and that the truth :D

Yes exo terra sun glo bulb 35w.

I put a thread a few weeks back asking what size uvb to buy and it turned into a massive debate.Some said 10 %and some said 5%.

So i emailed someone with yemens on uk forum who is highly repected and told her i was confused as everyone disagreed and was told to go with a 10 and a 2.So i did

Loads of things about the keeping of these creatures sparks a massive debate lol.

I think you're probably worrying over nothing really, I do it too! if 10 is working for you then keep the 10, i'd still take out the 2 though as that seems pointless. Your setup is almost identical to mine really, although you have more plants! looks great :D

We have brought the temps down now and he has actuall had a drink and has become more active now.Thanks for all your replys i think i am worrying over nothing.

He looks better in the last half hour than he has all day.

Thanks for your nice comments about my set up.xx

Back
Top Bottom