Dactylotum Bicolor

That doesn't surprise me.
The thing is Lubbers and several other families are toxic no matter what you feed them, so it's not a sure thing.

20210520_120658.jpg

Since this is your area of expertise. :) Could you share the difference between a lubber and a grasshopper?
Lubbers are just a different family of grasshopper (Romaleidae). Lots of beautiful and mostly large species that sequester toxic compounds (mix and match) from whatever they eat, even if the plant itself is harmless.

Dactylotum bicolor falls under Acrididae, along with all the feeder species that I sell. These are all non-toxic unless eating toxic plants because they don't do any fancy chemical sequestration. It's just gut content.

Lubbers are just a different family of grasshopper (Romaleidae). Lots of beautiful and mostly large species that sequester toxic compounds (mix and match) from whatever they eat, even if the plant itself is harmless.

Dactylotum bicolor falls under Acrididae, along with all the species that I sell. These are all non-toxic unless eating toxic plants because they don't do any fancy chemical sequestration. It's just gut content.
Amazing... So it is kinda like how a hornworm is toxic if it is eating from a tomato plant but not when it is given hornworm food?

Amazing... So it is kinda like how a hornworm is toxic if it is eating from a tomato plant but not when it is given hornworm food?
Yes exactly (y)

I breed a species just like this too. This black and yellow variant of Schistocerca lineata is poisonous in the wild because it gutloads on its toxic host plant, the common hoptree. I farm them on grocery store greens, so I still get the pretty chameleon food, but no poison :)

20210806_205407.jpg

Yes exactly (y)

I breed a species just like this too. This black and yellow variant of Schistocerca lineata is poisonous in the wild because it gutloads on its toxic host plant, the common hoptree. I farm them on grocery store greens, so I still get the pretty chameleon food, but no poison :)

View attachment 331164
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. Very helpful to actually understand this. :)

Back
Top Bottom