Cricket eggs

hagmegsis

So, I've managed to set up my own cricket breeding setup. I looked online and browsed through the forums but wasn't able to find exactly what I was wanting to know. How often should I check the soil for eggs? Also, I bought 50 crickets. That should be enough to start the process, correct?

I followed various instructions online for the setup. I have a plastic tote with another plastic tote that's smaller inside. The smaller one has the soil in it about 2 inches deep. Then there are 2 shallow dishes; 1 with cricket quench and 1 with assorted veggies and cricket food I bought at the pet store. They are in room that's about 85f.

I usually leave mine in for five to seven days. By then they're usually full of eggs. 50 should be enough but you may just want to leave the females in with just a couple males. I find males will eat eggs and dig much more than females, and you'd be surprised how many eggs they'll eat.

I've started breeding crickets. I think I've gotten the right setup. And I'm not sure what they are but there are little white dot things in my lay boxes... If there not eggs, what am I doing wrong? Help plz.

Attachments

• 1466636792123-1408582513.jpg
    1466636792123-1408582513.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 713
  • 14666368642002089675611.jpg
    14666368642002089675611.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 901
Looks good. The little white dots are the eggs. Make sure to keep it moist. Mine just hatched. I started with 100 and left it in for a week. The mistake I made was that I used just plain dirt from the yard. It still worked. I have a bunch of babies that started hatching about 3 days ago. Get a under tank heat pad and keep moist when you take the dirt out.

One more thing, are these adult sized crickets? And are there any way I can make a lay box for crickets? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1466729789717-2061586508.jpg
    1466729789717-2061586508.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 347
One more thing, are these adult sized crickets? And are there any way I can make a lay box for crickets? Thanks.

Those are adults. In the back you will see things that look like feelers sticking from their rears. The males have 2; the females 3. They have technical terms; but I call them butt feelers :ROFLMAO:

The males will eat the eggs so it's best to only leave a fee males in there. For a laying bin all you need is a dish of some sort with about 2 inches of moist soil in it. You have to keep it moist. Just put this bin in your larger container you kept your crickets in. Lost of people use those large plastic storage containers. Crickets also thrive in slightly higher temps so they need a heat source. I know there are other more informarive post on here as well.

Looks like adults. Just get a Tupperware container with some peat moss and make sure you keep the temp up. They seem to like the heat. Also keep the dirt damp.

IMO I don't think those little white dots are eggs. The eggs will be placed in the soil, not on top. @BabyChamCham

Also, for a lay box I just use a sandwich sized Tupperware container. I use clear and you can see eggs all down the sides. They look like super small grains of rice.

These crickets in your pic look close to adult, but not full grown yet.

I updated my cricket system today. There's 2 laying bins. This bin is much larger than before. I just need to get substrate for the bottom.

Attachments

• 20160624_110511.jpg
    20160624_110511.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 178
I just checked on my bin to make sure they're all getting along okay. My original laying bin has babies!!! My 1st hatch :LOL:

Yeap, did it. I didn't put a lot for the pic so you could see them :p

The babies are so little; I thought fruit flies had gotten I'm somehow.

Sometimes you can see them through the container of it's clear. You could dig through it, but it might damage the eggs. I honestly just "ignored" mine until they hatched. I kept them moist, but didn't mess with them otherwise.

One more thing, what can I use for cricket substrate? I'm currently using play sand, but it makes a horrible smell... :notworthy::confused: By the way, I'm sorry with all the questions... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom