Chameleons living together?

Daisy

I have an adult female side-stripe chameleon. Her body is about 4", so she is pretty small. She had 10 babies and I would love to keep one. Is it possible for an adult female and a juvenile female to live together? My enclosure is 18" x 18" x 36". The adult, Daisy, doesn't like to be touched, but is happy and unstressed if I just leave her alone.

What do you think?

You should pretty much never house chameleons together unless they are pygmies.

I would advise you to make a new cage for the baby. Also, your adult will mistake her for food and you will be back down to one cham.

I have an adult female side-stripe chameleon. Her body is about 4", so she is pretty small. She had 10 babies and I would love to keep one. Is it possible for an adult female and a juvenile female to live together? My enclosure is 18" x 18" x 36". The adult, Daisy, doesn't like to be touched, but is happy and unstressed if I just leave her alone.

What do you think?

Rudis can live together but I would wait until they are close to similar size. To avoid any conflict with food and bullying. I would think your cage would be fine for two of them.Hope this helps

EDIT : I see you answered most of my questions in the post. sorry I am a little slow today. :D

Ryan is right about waiting until the baby gets a little bigger to put the 2 females together, or the baby might starve. They should get along fine though once the baby is bigger. My rudis females have done fine together.

I believe that side-stripeds are Chamaeleo ellioti...but there might be others referred to as that.

Housing a small one with an adult could mean that the small one will become dinner.

Also...there will likely be a lot of stress in the arrangement. In many/most cases even two female chameleons can not be kept together. There are exceptions. Sooner or later one or both will usually start going downhill.

Daisy owns a Chamaeleo trioceros bitaeniatus. See this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-chameleon-just-had-15122/

Many members of this family of chameleons can live communally, but I ALWAYS stress that if you do not have extensive experience with chameleons (and I'm not talking a few years with Veileds or Panthers) then keeping one specimen per cage is recommended. The subtleties of underlying stress which affect the health and happiness of the animals can be lost on a new owner.

How are all the little ones doing Daisy?
Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom