Chameleon won't drink!

Help! My female chameleon who is about 4 months old will not drink and sheds A LOT! We have a drip system but the one i got apparently did not have a hose. Do i need one? Any way we let it drip into her water bowl. Is this the cause of her not drinking? And should i be worried about her shedding? Thanks and let me know ASAP!:(

Help! My female chameleon who is about 4 months old will not drink and sheds A LOT! We have a drip system but the one i got apparently did not have a hose. Do i need one? Any way we let it drip into her water bowl. Is this the cause of her not drinking? And should i be worried about her shedding? Thanks and let me know ASAP!:(

Shedding is not an issue they she alot when they are young. How are her urates? are they a nice white or yellow? Is there a lid on that water bowl? If not make one or get one ASAP she can very easily drown in a bowl depending on the size.

I agree get the bowl out of her cage, unless is it a really shallow dish to collect the water.

Can you post some pictures of both her and her cage?

You didn't answer my question in your other thread about her poop. Did you check it?

We want to help you but you don't give us a lot of info. If you want thorough help then please fill in the answers to the help form I linked on your other thread. A photo of her cage would help as well. With chameleons, the devil is definitely in the details!

You didn't answer my question in your other thread about her poop. Did you check it?

We want to help you but you don't give us a lot of info. If you want thorough help then please fill in the answers to the help form I linked on your other thread. A photo of her cage would help as well. With chameleons, the devil is definitely in the details!

Yes and it is brown and white. Is that good

Shedding is not an issue they she alot when they are young. How are her urates? are they a nice white or yellow? Is there a lid on that water bowl? If not make one or get one ASAP she can very easily drown in a bowl depending on the size.

They are a white

Should i post a pic of the poop?

Should i post a pic of the poop?

Yes we're all interested. :rolleyes: Pictures always help.

Did you also mention your dripper doesn't have a tube? Usually standard aquarium clear tubing should work to extend the dripper.

Check out post #18 of my thread. I posted a pic of my clear tubing extension from 1/2 gallon dripper I made. I feel getting the main drip to where your chameleon can see it helps initiate drinking.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/luke-i-am-your-nosy-father-121214/index2.html

Last edited:
If it's brown with white then she's properly hydrated, but a photo will confirm this. It might just be that she won't drink in front of you. This isn't necessarily unusual. It's only when that white part is yellow or orange that you have to worry about dehydration (it's sort of like our urine, we pee clear when we're really hydrated and orange when we're not.)

As far as the aggression, only time and patience may calm her down. Here are all the tricks that have worked for me to varying degrees. Hand feeding is your best tool if you can get her to do it: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/04/to-handle-or-not-to-handle.html

Here is her poop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 138
If it's brown with white then she's properly hydrated, but a photo will confirm this. It might just be that she won't drink in front of you. This isn't necessarily unusual. It's only when that white part is yellow or orange that you have to worry about dehydration (it's sort of like our urine, we pee clear when we're really hydrated and orange when we're not.)

As far as the aggression, only time and patience may calm her down. Here are all the tricks that have worked for me to varying degrees. Hand feeding is your best tool if you can get her to do it: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/04/to-handle-or-not-to-handle.html

And thanks for all your help!

Yes we're all interested. :rolleyes: Pictures always help.

Did you also mention your dripper doesn't have a tube? Usually standard aquarium clear tubing should work to extend the dripper.

Check out post #18 of my thread. I posted a pic of my clear tubing extension from 1/2 gallon dripper I made. I feel getting the main drip to where your chameleon can see it helps initiate drinking.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/luke-i-am-your-nosy-father-121214/index2.html

Thanks and ill return my dripper in the morning and see if they have a hose. Also the poop pic is on this page. Thanks again

And do you by chance think my dripper purposely didn't have a hose? Or was it a mistake and I can return it?

I've only bought one "Big Dripper" in my time, and I came w/ an extra nozzle and two one foot sections of black tubing. I love "projects", so I've been making my own drippers since the first one I bought. What kind did you buy? You probably could modify it, instead of driving back to where ever you got it from. ;)

Thanks and ill return my dripper in the morning and see if they have a hose. Also the poop pic is on this page. Thanks again

Obviously not the best of picture, but the poo don't look to bad to me. Poop talk always makes me giggle. :rolleyes: I'm a grown man physically, but a 12 year old at heart. Excuse my silliness. :D

Back
Top Bottom