chameleon tongues

JGspecial

Established Member
hey guys, so ive bought 2 chameleons from the same store, my veiled and my panther. they both have the same issue, no tongue coordination. both of them dont seem to be able to shoot their tongues accurately and they both seem to be in perfectly fine health. they can get bugs about 4-6" from themselves tops but any further than that they completely miss. ive been resorting to hand feeding them which is fine but id really like to see them hunt from far away. do you guys think that possibly they can be supplemented or they have a deficiency that i am overlooking? their eyes look fine and there is no issue with them physically that i can see. they are definitely well hydrated and drink a lot because i see them. both are way over a year old.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - panther cross and veiled
  • Handling - daily to every other day
  • Feeding - crickets, superworms, dubia roaches, hornworms, and rarely silkworms. i keep them random and i feed them bi-daily. gutload with repashy superload.
  • Supplements - repashy calcium plus every feeding and reptical d3 once every week
  • Watering - i mist the cages from the top screen all over til the cage is drenched 2-3 times a day so there is good humidity and theres water droplets to drink.
  • Fecal Description - feces and urates are normal, usually every 2-4 days.
  • History - only the veiled had an infection in his casque about 3-4 months ago (possibly from a burn) but it was cleared up within 2 weeks after a vet visit.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - both are in an 18x18x36 screen cage
  • Lighting - both have reptiglo 5.0 uvb 100s and are using exotera tropical basking bulbs
  • Temperature - 88f basking, 70f bottom of cage, night time really doesnt go below 55f
  • Humidity - about 70% humidity, regular side mount gage
  • Plants - plastic plants/leaves, vines, and beechwood
  • Placement - in my bedroom, the cage is about 2' from the floor on a low rack. my room is in a roof with angular walls
  • Location - massachusetts.

Current Problem - bad shot with the tongues which when i bought these chameleons i never witnessed or was demonstrated their shooting abilities so i cant say if they ever were able to. the panther ive only had for about 2 weeks but ive had the veiled for more than a year. the grey on top of the veileds cask is dead skin im waiting to shed off from the infection months ago. and his 2nd picture is the explosion that happened when he ate a huge hornworm. thanks.

IMG_20160220_155709332.jpg
IMG_20160220_210444498.jpg
IMG_20160223_124156306.jpg
IMG_20160223_135130847.jpg
IMG_20160213_195433367.jpg
IMG_20160214_124120960.jpg
IMG_20160302_180241406.jpg
IMG_20160302_180300700.jpg

nothing at all, hmmmmm. i see a lot of threads getting a response no matter how small the problem. does anyone have any insight? thank you kindly.

I have no info as far as your problem, but I did notice that your Veiled's casque on the top, as well as the very front, looks a little crispy like it is getting burned....

yeah, its an old problem, actually that whole grey piece is lifted and is going to fall off. theres new skin under it. i moved all his vines down and put the basking light above the lowest vine.

This is often a nutritional issue. Start them both on a strong regimen of hydration, well gutloaded feeders, and proper supplements - most especially daily dustings with plain calcium. There are lots of threads on this issue on the forum - you can do some searching and see what else people have recommended. Good hydration and nutrition is the first step.

Back
Top Bottom